Black and white?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Black and white?

Postby sstermer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:02 am

Has anyone used any of the Tim Grounds Series silosocks in Black and White? How do they seem to work? :help:

Was looking to add some more numbers. Thanks.
Pass the tradition, introduce a child to the outdoors.
sstermer
hunter

Re: Black and white?

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:59 am

It depends on the kinds of winds you get in your area. Where I hunt, there's just too much wind to run socks for canadas, at least big honkers. If you have large numbers of lessers, they might work better, but I have always found socks to just move way too much for me and flare more birds than they finished. I would look into some silhouettes if you're going to go B&W's. They work great for traffic hunts and we always placed them for highest visibility and always upwind of the more detailed decoys. Another choice would be to take a look at Big Al's "Take-em" style silhouettes. They are a nice, true to life darker color, work GREAT for traffic hunts and you don't have to worry about having to place them upwind of your "nice" decoys because believe me, they'll finish birds. They are also very easy to set up and take down and for the money, I don't think you'll find a better, more detailed decoy out there. We're gonna run them this afternoon as a matter of fact on some resident birds that have already been hunted pretty hard and I have no doubt we'll get into em! Here is the link for Al's site. Good luck!

http://www.bigalsdecoys.com/
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby sstermer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks for the info, them there decoys look pretty darn good for the $$$. :thumbsup:
sstermer
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:01 pm

sstermer wrote:Thanks for the info, them there decoys look pretty darn good for the $$$. :thumbsup:

I see you're a Southern Teir guy. How close to Erie, PA do you live? If you are close enough, you're more than welcome to take a look at emin person. If you're close to I-90 I'll very likely be on my way through to upstate NY the weekend after next to hunt with a friend and could stop by and show em to you then...
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
dsm16428
hunter

Postby sstermer » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:12 pm

I'm near Elmira. Thanks for the offer.
sstermer
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:09 pm

sstermer wrote:I'm near Elmira. Thanks for the offer.

Yeah. My Sister in Law is from Chemung. That's more than a little bit out of either of our ways huh? :lol:
dsm16428
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum