Buying some full bodies?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Buying some full bodies?

Postby mike_b » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:52 am

I'm interested in buying 4-12 full body Canada decoys. This will mostly be for field hunting, but I might be pretty portable with it.

I don't mind spending the money for BigFoots, but Sportman's Warehouse has a rebate on FA HD Honkers. Any suggestions?
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/img/ ... ebate1.pdf
mike_b
hunter

Re: Buying some full bodies?

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:06 pm

Yes. Avoid the FA HD Honkers like they've been infected with the plague! They shed paint and flocking at an almost unbelievable rate. For the money, I would just go with a dozen Dakota Lessers and be done with it. They're about the best FB decoy for the money out there. Other than that I would of course have to say give a long, hard look at Big Al's greater silhouettes. Great detail, bird grabbing color and ease of use for the money and they will flat out finish birds. Plus you can haul in 4 dozen in one satchel and actually buy about 3-4 dozen for every one dozen of the popular FB decoys. :thumbsup:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Nehonkerz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:37 pm

I agree with dsm, the FA are heavy, paint is bad, feet and heads come off. The Dakota lessors are a great decoy!
Nehonkerz
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:25 am

Cabela's is running a hot price on Bigfoots right now $103-$104 for a 4pk. Or their B2s are $140/6. They also have some $10 off coupons out there. Dunns is the next best deal at $129/4 and free shipping.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:34 pm

Big Foot originals.
Attachments
2012-04-089515.34.23.jpg
2012-04-089515.34.23.jpg (19.66 KiB) Viewed 895 times
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby canderso » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:17 pm

I just picked up the half dozen Bigfoot B2s. They look great. Can't speak for how they will last. I got them for $119 at Cabela's plus was able to throw a $10 coupon on top of that. So, shipped to my door was right at $125.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby coolhand216 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:05 am

I had purchased some Final Approach Last Pass goose decoys most recently. The new decoys have some quality control improvements in them, over the decoys I purchased a couple years ago. The main problem with the first decoys were that, the uprights were always leaning over when the legs were placed on the stand. I tried to rectify this by bending the supports at an angle. They have corrected this, likely through quality control, on the newer decoys, and this is no longer a problem. You may have to do some maintenance on the fitting ends of the rubber legs if they are difficult to remove. I had to shave the fitted ends on the legs with a scalpel to ensure that the legs are easy to assemble and remove in the field. I also had to remove the little screws that held the connectors on the decoy legs and I replaced them with pop rivets. I also noticed a marked improvement on the paint schemes with the newer decoys over the first batch of decoys I had purchased. It is apparent that the newer final approach decoys have been improved over the initial batch of decoys sold. Most of the problems, as noted, have been corrected. The paint scheme on these decoys is very realistic.
coolhand216
Newb

Postby Webfootslayer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:31 am

Check out Rogers they have a Christmas blowout going on for whichever dek's u wanna buy & if you want to buy some bigfoots I wouldn't bother w the B2's they suck. Clinton shouldn't have changed anything but the paint when makn the b2 cuz they r a spittn image of the specks they make but not as durable. just my 2 cents
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby Tyler H » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:18 pm

big foots are way to go not the most realistic but tuff and last and kill geese what more to ask
Tyler H
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:57 pm

I wouldnt get big foots or FA's, no motion on the big foots and they are real PITA to haul around and carry to the X, and my FA's have the flocking issues and I baby them by bagging and gingerly carrying them and one mysteriously came up with a golf ball sized hole in the side of it. my hard core full bodies have been much better and I'll be getting some Dakotas here on Dec. 25th.

remember full bodies also help a ton when you are at the water's edge and have some floaters out too.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Tyler H » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:38 pm

but big foots you can get the motion bases like any other brand. but i do agree with the transporting they get heavy real quick after toating a couple bags at a time we mix ours in with ghg which are much lighter and move more.
Tyler H
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Dakota Decoys all the way
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum