Goose decoy cart

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Goose decoy cart

Postby saw dust » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:16 am

I want to build or buy a cart to haul my goose decoys. I do almost all walk in hunts and some of them are vary far. I have been vary creative on ways to strap alot of full bodies and shells to myself but it still takes several trips out and back. I hunt by myself and I try to use as big of a spread as I can carry because my fields dont hold birds I have to relly work to pull them into me. My spread consists of 6 1/2 doz reel geese silo, 1 doz big foot full body, 2 doz B2's, 2 doz shells, 1doz silo socks, 6 keel less floaters, 1 cabalas ultimate lay out blind. I can haul all this a box of shells and a gun in 2 trips but it is not plesent so I usualy make it in 3. That can even be draining when it is muddy. I am sure people driving buy cant figure out what the huge blob walking across the field is and wonder why I am in a t shirt in January.
I like the looks of the honker hauler by decoy cartz but I am concerned how it will function in a muddy or soft field. I dont need to wory about ground clearance as much but i am afraid the skiny tires will sink. Has any one built a large volume cart with ballone tires or seen one comercialy produced? Has any one used the Honker Hauler?
Any thoughts or sugestions would be apriciated.
saw dust
hunter

Re: Goose decoy cart

Postby saw dust » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:17 am

It would also be ideal for the cart to fold up as the honker hauler dose so I can haul it in my truck with my decoys.
saw dust
hunter

Postby saw dust » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:26 pm

Has any one ever used the Honker Hauler by decoy cartz ? I havent found any reviews on it.
saw dust
hunter

Postby gtb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:01 pm

All that crap in two trips? Can you leap tall buildings in a single bound?
gtb
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Something I did a few years back was to mount a heavy duty sled on the frame of one of those kid hauler trailers for behind the bike. It worked fairly well as when the tires sunk down it would still act as a sled though the frame caused some drag or I could pull it right into the slough. If I were going to build one I would probably weld axles to a pieces of tube steel which I would mount on either side of the outside of the sled at the appropriate height for clearance. Then mount your choice of tires, flotation or bike type.I'd just drill a hole in the axles for a pin so that if the wheels bogged down you could pull them off and just use the sled. You could go a step further and mount a reciever post on the back of the sled (sticking up) so you could just stand the sled on end and slide it into a reciever hitch for transport.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby saw dust » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:53 am

Thanks for the reply dakota. I built a large sled a year ago but it didnt work out. I picked up a plastic bed liner for a 6 ft bed small truck. I cut it down alitle bit and added a bar across the front where I attached a harness that I spliced with 3 strand. I put the harness on like back pack straps and a belt. That helped to destribute the weight through my whole back and still keep my center of gravity low. I could load alot on it but there was way too much drag. Any bit of mud would act like a suction cup. it would of worked well If you attached it to a four wheeler. I thought it would be great for guys with a 4 weeler because two guys could slide it loaded in and out of a pick up bed (if you modify the weel wells) drag it out than at the end you would only have to load the decoys in once in the field than two guys could lift it back up in the bed.
saw dust
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:22 pm

I've also debated buying a second carrier from cabelas ($50 right now) joining it to the one I have, installing a longer axle and putting on a flotation type tire.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Goose decoy cart

Postby Tealer » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:15 pm

I built this one. It worked good but it was to small.
So I had this one custom built.
Hard to tell size but I currently have 78 DSD lessers, and 13 honkers in that cart. I also put 2.7" mountain bike tires on to help with flotation.
The left tire is a standard cart tire the right is the upgrade.

I have to use carts here, driving on a field or WMA is a bad idea. These two are the best I have found yet. I think they can hold 400 pounds before it gets to tough to push.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:13 am

Now all you need to do is train a lab/s to pull it...................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:09 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Now all you need to do is train a lab/s to pull it...................

Think starter motor and 12 volt battery.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Takeem406 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:33 pm

I picked up just a game cart. Can't remember the brand. It's okay but it's too small and needs four wheels.

I'm going to silos...

Sent from my layout blind
Takeem406
hunter

Postby loon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:41 pm

Hey Tealer can you give some more details as to how you built that? What is the frame made of? I would like to make something similar thanks
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby saw dust » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:57 pm

I have the honker hauler on order with the magnum kit. Ill post some comments when it arives. I have high hopes. i hope I'm not disapointed.
saw dust
hunter

Goose decoy cart

Postby xtrema13 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:25 am

How did you build that!?
xtrema13
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:20 pm

^^ What they said, please!?!?!!!??? :help:
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:56 am

I ordered up like 6, 10' pieces of 1" steel tubing. Cut them to length welded them together. Then I took some 1" round solid stock and turned it down on one end to 3/4" to fit in the cart tires, the other end slides right in to the square tubing. I threaded the ends to bolt the wheels on. Pretty simple. The aluminum cart is the same type of set up. Except the axles go all the way across and are solid round stock. I use garden fencing for the sides and floor, zip tied on. A little pipe insulation to make it more comfortable to push.

Total cost on the top cart was right at 500. Bottom cart was 630 plus the new tires which was another 225, So 855ish total. Both carts fit in my 6x12 enclosed trailer. Together they hold 78 lesser and 36 honker full bodies and like 4 layouts no problem.

I can try and get some better pics.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Tealer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:59 am

saw dust wrote:I have the honker hauler on order with the magnum kit. Ill post some comments when it arives. I have high hopes. i hope I'm not disapointed.

We ran one for a while. It wasn't great, the tires are the problem with those. Hard plastic doesn't soak up rough terrain or float in the mud.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby saw dust » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:49 am

Ok, honker hauler is in and assembled. I used it the past two mournings. It holds alot but I expected it to hold more. All my decs are baged now and I think stacked bags is not efficiant on the cart. I want to try puting the decs in the cart without bags. Maby puting an old pice of fabric between layers to help with rubbing. I use a trailer to haul my gear around and it would save alot of time if I could load all the decs in the cart and wheel it on and off the trailer full. I could just push it around my blind stoping every so often to set them out or pick them up. The only issue with this is I am not sure the best way to tye down the loaded cart in the trailer without tourquing it too much. With all tht said it roles vary easly in the light tarain I was in. I havent gone in large ruts or tall corn stuble yet. I need to erect a kickstand for it becaust it teater tots on the single axil while you are trying to load / unload it.
saw dust
hunter

Goose decoy cart

Postby xtrema13 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:26 pm

I'm thinking about making one. Just not sure how I'm going to put a axle on.

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 pm

xtrema13 wrote:I'm thinking about making one. Just not sure how I'm going to put a axle on.

Sent from my Super Mag

Weld on a piece of 3/4" on to the tubbing.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Webfootslayer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:27 am

Dam Tealer that's an awesome looking cart gonna have to dust of the shield & practice w some scrap 1st b4 I build 1 guess it gives me something to do while waitn for the birds to push & the puppies to get old enough to get rid of lol
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Webfootslayer wrote:Dam Tealer that's an awesome looking cart gonna have to dust of the shield & practice w some scrap 1st b4 I build 1 guess it gives me something to do while waitn for the birds to push & the puppies to get old enough to get rid of lol

I'm trying to sell my original cart.....
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Webfootslayer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:12 pm

Pm me cuz I'm definately intrested esp for hauln my DSD's can 2 guys load it in the back of a truck?
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:38 pm

Webfootslayer wrote:Pm me cuz I'm definately intrested esp for hauln my DSD's can 2 guys load it in the back of a truck?

I load it alone all the time.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Webfootslayer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:23 am

Gotta check finances after christmas but I would definately be intrested in trading a goose hunt for delivery. Seeing how we r finally gettn some birds pushing down
Webfootslayer
hunter

Next

Return to Goose Decoy Forum