turning heads

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

turning heads

Postby mdfowlman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:40 pm

I have 4 dozen oversize ghg shells that i want to use as sleepers around my pond. But only have about 6 sleeper heads. Has anyone just turned the heads around. Most of the heads i have are the rester heads. Has anyone just turned them around to look like sleepers. I was going to get new heads for them but at 60 a dozen i cant justify it. Unless there is no alternative.
Thanks
mdfowlman
hunter

Re: turning heads

Postby jhanson1114 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:53 pm

I have done it. It works, they are a little different shape. However geese rest like that too, so I would say go for it!
jhanson1114
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:07 am

I don't think geese are that smart and by the time they get close enough to notice they should be trying to dodge your shot strings. :thumbsup:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Benelli92 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:07 am

Shouldn't be a problem. i have even turned the sleeper heads around to make it look like a feeder head. geese didn't notice at all.
Benelli92
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:11 pm

mdfowlman wrote:I have 4 dozen oversize ghg shells that i want to use as sleepers around my pond. But only have about 6 sleeper heads. Has anyone just turned the heads around. Most of the heads i have are the rester heads. Has anyone just turned them around to look like sleepers. I was going to get new heads for them but at 60 a dozen i cant justify it. Unless there is no alternative.
Thanks

I have been using a couple dozen Flambeau standard shells that I have been turning the feeder heads around like sleepers since the late 80's. I still use those same shells. They work great, especially on the edge of the ice.

I worked for Flambeau in the 90's. I went to the head of HR, in my plant, and talked to him about making an actual sleeper head to fit on Flambeau shell decoys. He blew me off on that idea. Looks like other companies have done well with sleeper shells.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum