Opinions on Silhouettes

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Opinions on Silhouettes

Postby Dr^ke » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:13 pm

Do they work? What brand are you using? Thanks
Dr^ke
hunter

Re: Opinions on Silhouettes

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:14 pm

ABSOLUTLY. LOVE THEM ACTUALLY. They are very light and compactable. Not to mention you can carry a lot more than you can FB's or shells. Real Geese Pro series II's are the way to go man. Look so realistic and no shine on either side. Not to mention they are mad in the GREAT OLE US OF A!!!! HAHA. I love my GHG FFD fullbodies and veryhitng has a place and time but honestly I wouldn't mind having a bunch more silos, I think they are the ish. They are great for breaking up the oulines of the blinds too because you can put them right up tight and whatnot.

Goodluck,

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby bobalong » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:53 pm

They work great, I have used Big Flock, Real Geese II and Big Als, for the cost, ease of use and effectivness I like the Big Als the best.
bobalong
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:42 am

I'm running AL's silos almost exclusively this year. Work has made it very tough to get out...at all this late season but I do have a few days lined up that should prove eventful. I like Al's decoys because they have a generally darker coloration, which will really help them stand out if you're runnnig traffic, and they just look more like the color of a live bird as it is. They're light weight and set up and take down SUPER FAST, which can be a huge plus if you hunt solo or your group has to walk in a good sized spread. I can fit about 4 dozen of Al's silos in the HS silhouette bags so if I need to run a small spread or I'm hunting by myself, I can carry my blind, blind bag, gun and decoys usually in one trip with relative ease. If I think I maybe "need" to add some "bulk" to my silo spread, I will either bring a doz bag of GHG lessers to throw out or a couple dozen shell deeks to fill in. Give Al a ring or email him (contact info is on the web site) and ask him for a sample. He'll send you one for free. An EFFECTIVE product, made in the U.S., great cust. srvc and the owner is just a trully nice guy. What more could you ask for? :thumbsup:

Here is the link to Al's site.

http://www.bigalsdecoys.com/
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby bulletman » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:03 am

I bought Big Al's last year, they have convinced me that Silhouettes will work............. in the smaller fields I have access to and the hit-and-run hunting I have to do they are perfect for me.
bulletman
hunter

Postby FowlAddiction » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:13 pm

After hunting in the snow this weekend the silos gained more props In my opinion. Couldnt keep the snow off the shells or the bigfoots. Ended up burying them in the snow and just running the silos as they were not snowing up AT ALL. They drifted in a bit but not much you can do to stop that except cleaning out once in a while. I have 2 doz rg2s and plan on getting a few more doz big als. Birds seem to decoy to them the same for me as big foots.
FowlAddiction
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:44 pm

So do you guys exclusively run silo's or do you run them with shells and full bodies?
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:18 pm

I mix mine in. But if I could do it all over again I would have saved the 2000 bucks on a trailer and countless more money on fbs and just went with the sillouetes. I know some guys who use 100 perc. silos and kill more than I do. If I were you I would deffinately consider running all silos. Now that I already have my trailer and a buncha FFD's ima keep um and just buy more silos and mix um in.
hunter

Postby FowlAddiction » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:40 pm

So far I have been using the silos as filler and putting the full bodys in the hole. However after watching the birds react to just the silos alone, I don't know how much it matters. The best thing to do is let the birds show you what they want, but I have not seen any ill effects from using them with or without full body's or shells. I have used em in the early season and late season and they really shine now that we have a bunch of snow. Easy to haul out 4 to 8 doz decoys when you can't drive the trailer out. Actually I just ordered two more doz big ALS today. Plan on leaving the full body's and shells home this weekend.
FowlAddiction
hunter

Postby IDWF » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Anybody have a slick method of getting silo stakes into frozen ground?
Thx...
IDWF
Newb

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Stake punch or dewalt drill with an auger bit.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:17 am

Real Gese makes a stake punch made just for frozen ground. What we always did wwas use a large drill bit and drilled a hole ino the ground and then inserted the stake!! Or a hammer and a pin work too!
hunter

Opinions on Silhouettes

Postby txpanhandler » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:58 am

I'll give another plug for big Al's. we get tons of lessers down here, and his lesser silos are awesome. They have great color and are extremely realistic, and geese react very well to them. Silos are essential to us hunting places with very limited cover. Very little shine at all, have hunted them just fine on blue bird mornings. Best of all, the price is great and the customer service is awesome. Great guy to visit with, even if just through email.
txpanhandler
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:24 am

X2 on running silos. Love the things...... question??? off season storage? Noticed that they are taking on the shape of my scatchel/bags. Guess maybe ,remove from the bags, take the wickets out and stack on a flat surface til next season :huh:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby cuppedandkilled » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:20 pm

cut_un wrote:X2 on running silos. Love the things...... question??? off season storage? Noticed that they are taking on the shape of my scatchel/bags. Guess maybe ,remove from the bags, take the wickets out and stack on a flat surface til next season :huh:

Rubbermaid totes.. I can fit about 6 dozen of mine and my buddies in 1 tub.
cuppedandkilled
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Did notice that after my silos were left hanging in their scatchels my trailer all season,they were curving a little. Was suggested that my scatchel straps were too tight. Bingo, once I backed off a bit,helps a bunch...... I am storing them in a large tote so they will be in tip top shape for next season! Guys, I ran one heck of a test on Silos, Big Al's and RGs both!

Must say, A silo decoy will stand up to the test,from start to late season! The 2 D decoys have been around forever and will not be going anywhere anytime soon :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:29 pm

I like silhouettes. Don't get me wrong, for shells and full bodies, you can't go wrong with Greenhead Gear. I mix them with shells and full bodies. Geese can only see 2 dimensional, so when they are flying low, they see them and when the geese come over top, the decoys disappear. This creates an optical illusion and makes it looks like the deeks are moving to the birds. I like Real-Geese. The Mag-Lites, Mag-Lites 3D, and the Pro Serie's 2's are all awesome :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:21 am

dsm16428 wrote:I'm running AL's silos almost exclusively this year. Work has made it very tough to get out...at all this late season but I do have a few days lined up that should prove eventful. I like Al's decoys because they have a generally darker coloration, which will really help them stand out if you're runnnig traffic, and they just look more like the color of a live bird as it is. They're light weight and set up and take down SUPER FAST, which can be a huge plus if you hunt solo or your group has to walk in a good sized spread. I can fit about 4 dozen of Al's silos in the HS silhouette bags so if I need to run a small spread or I'm hunting by myself, I can carry my blind, blind bag, gun and decoys usually in one trip with relative ease. If I think I maybe "need" to add some "bulk" to my silo spread, I will either bring a doz bag of GHG lessers to throw out or a couple dozen shell deeks to fill in. Give Al a ring or email him (contact info is on the web site) and ask him for a sample. He'll send you one for free. An EFFECTIVE product, made in the U.S., great cust. srvc and the owner is just a trully nice guy. What more could you ask for? :thumbsup:

Here is the link to Al's site.

http://www.bigalsdecoys.com/

What DSM says is gospel! Might end up with six dozen Big Als listening to him though... :-D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4
Takeem406
hunter

Postby cuppedandkilled » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:19 pm

I also run sillo most of the season. They're very effective when set up correctly. I've run Outlaws, RG, and Al's. I've stuck with Al's and sold all my others and replaced them with Al's. Lightweight, realistic, and inexpensive to build a nice spread of them!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII
cuppedandkilled
hunter

Postby tilley » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Real Geese are the way to go. If anyone needs some let me know as I deal for them. thanks
tilley
hunter

Postby loon » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:13 pm

The catalog says the magnum real geese are 25 inches tall and up to 36 inches long? But I can't find the dimension averages for the standards. How bad is the glare on the cheaper ones compared to the pro ll model? I'm thinking I would really like the larger magnums which are even cheaper but am concerned about the shine, Has anyone tried spraying something on them to dull the shine? is this even a problem? Thanks guys for any input
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Re: Opinions on Silhouettes Storage and Transport

Postby jamem029 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:33 pm

Hello All,

Sorry to revive an old thread but it was closest to the topic I would like to discuss. I recently purchased 10 dozen Real Geese Pro'2
decoys and have the real geese decoy bags for them. The bags are made well and its not bad loading them in, the issue I have is they don't have short carry handles. I find them awkward to move and carry not too mention what do you do when you put them in the trailer. They don't hang well with the long shoulder strap at all. I see some of you mentioned having them in totes.
Can you comment on long term use and storage of them in the totes? It looks like you put them in stake down, what are the dimensions of the totes you use? Any issues with them being damaged or warped by doing this? I have thought of building a couple of shelves up front and places the bags on them but to me laying flat on each other in nags whether on the floor or on shelves they bounce around on each other and the dirt from stakes drops in. if the bags had decent short handles I would just hang them and then bungee to keep them flat.

Thanks for any advise
jamem029
Newb

Return to Goose Decoy Forum