Tim Newbold Lessers vs. Pro Grade Lessers

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Tim Newbold Lessers vs. Pro Grade Lessers

Postby muskyduck » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:54 am

Does anyone know what the size difference is between the two, if any? I heard the Newbolds may be a bit smaller.
muskyduck
hunter

Re: Tim Newbold Lessers vs. Pro Grade Lessers

Postby Tipsntails7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:44 pm

I don't know the actual numbers but they are smaller. Maybe an inch or 2 in length and smaller around as well
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:30 pm

Tipsntails7 wrote:I don't know the actual numbers but they are smaller. Maybe an inch or 2 in length and smaller around as well

I have seen them in person, and I remember them being super small like duck floater size.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby muskyduck » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:57 am

Tealer wrote:
Tipsntails7 wrote:I don't know the actual numbers but they are smaller. Maybe an inch or 2 in length and smaller around as well

I have seen them in person, and I remember them being super small like duck floater size.

:huh: Sure you aren't refering to the cacklers? They are about 15" in length. They say the Newbold lessers run just under 18" from tail to front of breast. I have a feeling that is a touch shorter then the Pro Grades, as Tips stated. The reason I am so picky is because I like to use the Pro Grade lessers to mix in with the regular full-bodies, they are just big enough to work. Don't really want to by the Newbolds if they are any smaller.

Does anyone have a picture of them side by side? That would be perfect?
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:54 am

The cacklers are about the size of a full body duck. The lessers are just a hair bigger. Honestly from 30 yards you probably couldn't tell the difference other then the color. Personally I was shocked at how small they were. And I probably won't be buying anymore. In my area we shoot a lot of Aleutians. And putting em next to the lesser decoy they are dang near the same size and cacks are a hair smaller then them so I'd say the cacklers are true to size. The lessers not so much.
I can get you a picture up tonight of the lesser and the cack. Sorry I don't have any pro grade lessers.
If your looking for a good lesser decoy I would look at Dakota's one piece lesser. They are a good size and durable as all get out. I bought 2 dozen at the beginning of this year and love em. Then again if you got the cash DSD lessers cannot be beat.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:38 am

Gmas
Tipsntails7 wrote:The cacklers are about the size of a full body duck. The lessers are just a hair bigger. Honestly from 30 yards you probably couldn't tell the difference other then the color. Personally I was shocked at how small they were. And I probably won't be buying anymore. In my area we shoot a lot of Aleutians. And putting em next to the lesser decoy they are dang near the same size and cacks are a hair smaller then them so I'd say the cacklers are true to size. The lessers not so much.
I can get you a picture up tonight of the lesser and the cack. Sorry I don't have any pro grade lessers.
If your looking for a good lesser decoy I would look at Dakota's one piece lesser. They are a good size and durable as all get out. I bought 2 dozen at the beginning of this year and love em. Then again if you got the cash DSD lessers cannot be beat.

I appreciate it. Buying the dakotas would defeat the purpose. A pack of six costs $190 and the Newbolds are $209 a dozen. Not a very even comparison. The GHG regular full bodies are cheaper then the Dakota lessers at some places...
muskyduck
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:41 am

Dakota lessers can be found for $160 per 6 from time to time and you don't have to worry about durability. I don't think the ghg newbolds have been vetted long enough to say they are durable.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Tealer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Your right the Newbold lessers are smaller then the old lessers. The new honkers are smaller too. Here is a comparison of the lessers and cacklers sorry I don't have any other avery's to compare too.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby muskyduck » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks for the pic! It definitely helps
muskyduck
hunter

Postby cuppedandkilled » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:26 pm

Tealer wrote:Your right the Newbold lessers are smaller then the old lessers. The new honkers are smaller too. Here is a comparison of the lessers and cacklers sorry I don't have any other avery's to compare too.

This helps alot. Would cacklers be good fillers? How has durability been?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
cuppedandkilled
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:20 am

As far as durability goes they are still Avery decoys. Where we hunt here if I could have gotten ahold of the cacklers in time for the season I would run 150 of them with my DSD spread. Little geese love bigger numbers, and they are very aggressive. On the west coast the cacklers push the honkers around.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby muskyduck » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:27 am

Well I am taking a chance and ordering them. I will post a pic of the Newbolds and Pro Grade when I get them in.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:10 pm

Well, they are going back. Took a chance and they are tiny! Not Gonna work for me. I hunt only greater canadas and these are just way too small. As promised, here are pics of the newbolds next to the pro grade lessers. Big difference!
Attachments
IMAG0264-1.jpg
IMAG0266-1.jpg
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:04 pm

I gotta be honest with you. I don't run a single full size Canada decoy anymore. And I kill plenty of big honkers. To me having different sizes equals realism in my spread. Do what you will with the decoys but them being to small to your eye will not make any difference to a real goose. Trust me.
How's my spelling WTN10

Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:23 pm

Tipsntails7 wrote:I gotta be honest with you. I don't run a single full size Canada decoy anymore. And I kill plenty of big honkers. To me having different sizes equals realism in my spread. Do what you will with the decoys but them being to small to your eye will not make any difference to a real goose. Trust me.

I have shot plenty of honkers over solid spreads of lesser decoys.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby muskyduck » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:20 am

Tealer wrote:
Tipsntails7 wrote:I gotta be honest with you. I don't run a single full size Canada decoy anymore. And I kill plenty of big honkers. To me having different sizes equals realism in my spread. Do what you will with the decoys but them being to small to your eye will not make any difference to a real goose. Trust me.

I hear a lot of that, but it makes me pretty skeptic still. Especially when I have never laid eyes on a lesser in any of the areas I hunt. This was my whole concern. The Pro Grade lessers are about the size of a medium sized honker which is perfect. These Newbolds are about a third smaller then those, barely even bigger then the full-body mallards. I know you guys are aware of that, but do you honestly think a honker that has never seen anything but a spitting image of himself, will not think twice about landing into a these decoys that are half the size of them? Not meaning to sound like a smarta$$, just want some hard, honest feedback. For $50 more I can exchange and get a dozen of the larger Pro Grades that I have pictured... Almost seems to be worth it. IDK...
muskyduck
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:44 am

I hunt almost all big geese as well, but if you look into fields, there is definitely a size difference between geese. I like to vary my spread to add realism, Currently I have 8 dozen of the pro grades and 2 dozen of the Newbolds. Most of the time however I am hunting over 4 dozen pro grades and 2 dozen Newbolds, have found that around here huge numbers are not necessary. I got out from under the big foot craze about 6 years ago, because every other person around me had spreads of all big foots. I think that most hunters believe that big decoys attract geese better, but I totally disagree with that.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Tipsntails7 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:49 am

It's really up to you. All I will say is a dozen or so lessers mixed in is not going to be the reason geese don't land in your spread. Actually it could give you a better chance. If all they see all year is spreads of big geese and you have something different that can be all it takes to dump into your spread.
How's my spelling WTN10

Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby cuppedandkilled » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:50 pm

muskyduck wrote:
Tealer wrote:

I hear a lot of that, but it makes me pretty skeptic still. Especially when I have never laid eyes on a lesser in any of the areas I hunt. This was my whole concern. The Pro Grade lessers are about the size of a medium sized honker which is perfect. These Newbolds are about a third smaller then those, barely even bigger then the full-body mallards. I know you guys are aware of that, but do you honestly think a honker that has never seen anything but a spitting image of himself, will not think twice about landing into a these decoys that are half the size of them? Not meaning to sound like a smarta$$, just want some hard, honest feedback. For $50 more I can exchange and get a dozen of the larger Pro Grades that I have pictured... Almost seems to be worth it. IDK...

I killed hundreds of geese over 36" mag shells when I was a youngster. I think your giving them to much credit on how well they judge a decoys size.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
cuppedandkilled
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum