Best Touch-up Techiques?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Best Touch-up Techiques?

Postby bandchaser » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:00 pm

What's the best way to touch up heads and tails without a full paint job. My deeks are showing some normal wear and tear from alot of use and some rough hunting partners. I probably should do a little touch up for late season high pressured birds. A black Sharpie seems to work ok, but there has to be something better and less reflective. Any ideas/recommendations?
bandchaser
hunter

Re: Best Touch-up Techiques?

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:11 am

Maybe buy a flocking kit to do the heads and tails. I think GHG makes it. I have never done it but I think it would be fairly easy.
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling wrote:Maybe buy a flocking kit to do the heads and tails. I think GHG makes it. I have never done it but I think it would be fairly easy.

I've used the GHG flocking kits & will never use them again. The adhesive sucks & Didn't last but 2 weeks.Dave Smith Decoys makes a flocking kit though I've haven't personally used yet it but I will b buying his kits this spring when I reflock the my bigfoots heads & for the tails of the dek's
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Okay thanks for the words man. OKay then go with a flocking kit but not GHG's :fingerpt: haha
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:24 pm

For Black and White I just buy a can of flat white and black. Then I take a can and spray it onto an art brush then I use the brush and paint the decoys. Respraying when I need to.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby phiml » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:14 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:For Black and White I just buy a can of flat white and black. Then I take a can and spray it onto an art brush then I use the brush and paint the decoys. Respraying when I need to.

Are you putting spray can paint straight into an airbrush cup? Then, How do you keep the paint from drying up (on your airbrush) long enough to finish painting the decoy?

thanks
phiml
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:40 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:For Black and White I just buy a can of flat white and black. Then I take a can and spray it onto an art brush then I use the brush and paint the decoys. Respraying when I need to.

I've tried this on the cheeks but instead of spraying it on the brush I sprayed it into a container first. It was hard to even finish 1 decoy before it would be too dry to keep painting. Any tips?
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Aero Outdoors specialize in flocking and glues purpose designed for waterfowler use. It is quality stuff that will solve your problem.
aerooutdoors.com
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby imboray » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:40 am

www.fowlflocker.com use flat rustoluem for the adhesive. flocking will do more heads than advertised
imboray
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:28 am

Spray it directly into the brush then immediately re-apply to decoy. Did this with all my divers and its a tough finish.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:48 pm

Can I ask, why are you using spray paint, to paint with a brush?

Can't you use acrylic or many guys even use latex.

My re paints on ducks is acrylic with 3 coats of clear coat. Great results and durability .
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Because just spray painting would put paint on a decoy where u dont want it. Using the brush allows you to control where paint goes. Its quite durable too.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:23 am

Justin Weber wrote:Because just spray painting would put paint on a decoy where u dont want it. Using the brush allows you to control where paint goes. Its quite durable too.

You do know they make paint in cans, bottles, etc that you don't have to spray?

I use 2oz bottles of acrylic, affordable, 1000 of colors, easy clean up , etc.

Maybe I am missing something, sorry if I am, am sure I will be corrected shortly.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum