Whats going on with GHG

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Re: Whats going on with GHG

Postby Justin300mag » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:17 pm

Tealer wrote:
Justin300mag wrote:Yeah I have always been a fan of ghg but I think they really shot themselves in the foot with the Tiny Tim Newbold crap. I hope they fix it it before it bankrupts them. Everyone I haved talked to that has had the chance to see them in person first has said they will not be getting any, including me.

Lots of people are buying them, so much so they cant keep them in stock. I like that they are finally selling a decoys that looks like a goose not a painted football. As far as the size goes, I think they are perfectly sized for lesser and cacklers.

That seems to be the case with the honkers but everyone seems to have the lessers. The guy at Sportsmans here has said they have only sold a few boxes since getting them in, they can't seem to get rid of them. I want a decoy that can be seen from a distance. I have mallard decoys bigger than those. I cant even imagine the cacklers.
Justin300mag
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Justin300mag wrote:
Tealer wrote:
Justin300mag wrote:Yeah I have always been a fan of ghg but I think they really shot themselves in the foot with the Tiny Tim Newbold crap. I hope they fix it it before it bankrupts them. Everyone I haved talked to that has had the chance to see them in person first has said they will not be getting any, including me.

Lots of people are buying them, so much so they cant keep them in stock. I like that they are finally selling a decoys that looks like a goose not a painted football. As far as the size goes, I think they are perfectly sized for lesser and cacklers.

That seems to be the case with the honkers but everyone seems to have the lessers. The guy at Sportsmans here has said they have only sold a few boxes since getting them in, they can't seem to get rid of them. I want a decoy that can be seen from a distance. I have mallard decoys bigger than those. I cant even imagine the cacklers.

Check out Dakota Decoys, they have honkers and lessers. They are realistic and the most durable flocked decoys I've ever used or seen.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:36 am

I also noticed on mine that the cones didn't line up well with the hole on I think 2 of the decoys... Didn't really think about it in terms of a common problem though, but maybe...
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:35 am

Justin300mag wrote:
Tealer wrote:

The new honkers will be released this year and will be smaller then previous years.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:49 pm

I for one would much rather have a smaller, more realistic decoy. For one, I have only shot small geese; tavs, cacks and lessers this year. Also, tavs will flare from decoys very easily, thats the reason dave smith started making decoys. Then there is the fact that, living in a place where you cant drive in, if you want to have any real numbers, you are going to have to have smaller decoys to be practical. I predict that the new ghg lessers will have a cult following among hunters in oregon and washington. I know that I am buying some!
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:11 pm

teddysberna wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360250483.681170.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same issue. I like the Pro Grade Lessers myself. They are the perfect size for big honkers IMO, and easy to pack in then the bulky full-size. They are getting hard to find though.

Does anyone know if they are discontinuing the Pro Grade Lessers now that they have the Newbolds?
muskyduck
hunter

Postby brentbullets » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:42 am

Lots of people are buying them, so much so they cant keep them in stock.

More of a production and shipping issue than anything. Avery like alot of companies that have their decoys made in China had this issue.
brentbullets
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:21 pm

muskyduck wrote:
teddysberna wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360250483.681170.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same issue. I like the Pro Grade Lessers myself. They are the perfect size for big honkers IMO, and easy to pack in then the bulky full-size. They are getting hard to find though.

Does anyone know if they are discontinuing the Pro Grade Lessers now that they have the Newbolds?

Yes, they are discontinuing the old prograde styles.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Okfowlman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:48 am

I see the argument by the tn lessers are small, they are good decoys if you have a lot of lessers around why? Because they are identical to a lesser. 95% of the geese we shoot here are tiny suckers, unless they're resident geese and around here they won't decoy worth a crap for some reason. I like the tn lessers but that's because we only shoot little geese and I can fit more in because I don't have a trailer, we just have some big geese to put up by the blinds and the lessers decoy fine
Okfowlman
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:52 am

my spread consists of both Newbolds and the new Pro grades, when you set the Newbolds out with the pro grades they truly don't look that small in the field, and the size difference actually looks more realistic IMO.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby John O`Neal » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:01 pm

I hate to see the FFD Elites discontinued . I am certainly not brand committed as I have some Avian`s and even have eighteen bigfoot`s in the mix, but without a doubt the FFD Elites are the centerpiece of our spread . When considering conformation, coloration and overall realism I feel the Elites are one of the preeminent decoys in their field . On numerous occasions during the past few seasons we have had live geese land among our FFD Elites , if those birds weren't moving it was hard to pick out real ones from the fakes . I still see a few dealers offering them on E Bay so I guess I will try to buy up as many as my budget will allow .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:28 pm

John O`Neal wrote:I hate to see the FFD Elites discontinued . I am certainly not brand committed as I have some Avian`s and even have eighteen bigfoot`s in the mix, but without a doubt the FFD Elites are the centerpiece of our spread . When considering conformation, coloration and overall realism I feel the Elites are one of the preeminent decoys in their field . On numerous occasions during the past few seasons we have had live geese land among our FFD Elites , if those birds weren't moving it was hard to pick out real ones from the fakes . I still see a few dealers offering them on E Bay so I guess I will try to buy up as many as my budget will allow .

I think they are going to release FFD versions of the new honker decoys. The released flocked lesser this year.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Nathan N » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:36 pm

I hope they keep making FFD shells. Bought 3 dozen on sale a couple years ago and they are awesome. We use the shells around the kill hole and use our older FB upwind. The FFD shells look great and don't eat up as much space and money as FFD full bodies.
i shoot spoonies wrote:

shouldbeaguide should rename... shouldabeenswallowed
Nathan N
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:44 am

SPatrick wrote:Pro grades come with both, in those pictures they are on a stake, the newbolds come with stakes only.

when you say they come with BOTH, are you saying that in a box of 6 decoys you have 6 stakes AND 6 bases with feet that attach to the goose body?

or that you can ORDER them with FEET, OR bases?

was looking to replace a few of my buddies decoys i borrowed, which are all solid base decoys....haveing a hard time finding them listed with bases , other than the 4 pack of uprights....which id prefer not to buy

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 am

I am almost positive the full body honkers still come with the stakes and the round base stakes. The Newbold decoys (both leaders and cacklers) only come with the stakes though.
jrode237
hunter

Postby cuppedandkilled » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:55 pm

jrode237 wrote:I am almost positive the full body honkers still come with the stakes and the round base stakes. The Newbold decoys (both leaders and cacklers) only come with the stakes though.

From all the research i've done... this ic correct.
cuppedandkilled
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:46 pm

You are correct
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby blackwagon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:00 pm

I would check out final approach lessers they come with a base and bag and you can make stakes for them real easy! I ordered 10dz tim newbold lesser and went and picked them up and they literally they are not any bigger than your hand spread out! I dont know why ghg quit making the old lessers and honkers if thats what people want why stop making them! I talked to a guy at rogers and he said that he doesnt believe a word avery says bc they had ordered the ffd honkers and they tell them a date that they will be in and they never show up. They ask the territory rep and he cant give them an answer thats pretty crapping business. Then avery tells them that they got some in and didnt like mold so they sent the mold off to get it reworked. A prostaffer also told me that they were having more problems getting them shipped over from china and it was getting harder to get into the us and it was costing more. IMO they are making everything smaller not sending bags or bases to cover there costand by making them smaller it cuts down on the material it takes to make them and charge more for the decoy!

blackwagon
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:40 am

I don't hunt cackler's/lessers and there would be no reason for me to buy the new Tim New. but I would have to agree with tealer if you hunt that size bird why would you want to put out one that is twice its size. I used to run the avery lessers FFD and hardcore (junk) for greaters and that worked fine but I could see larger decoys possibly spooking small birds but I dk like I said I've never hunted cackler's/lessers before although have shot a few within groups of greaters.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby Fowlshooter » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:52 am

All right....

I have been looking online for 2 weeks and been searching everywhere for the Avery ghg goose decoys, I have even called multiple stores across America and this is what I got

Avery ghg are discontinuing a lot of the old style honkers, if you are very very lucky you just might find a store that has a box or two.....why you ask?

Avery ghg has came out with a completely new honker decoy, new carving, new paint, offered in the pro grade painted and ffd. And the ghg elite painted and ffd.
There has been a manufacturing problem in china, and these decoys were supposed to be in stores a few weeks ago, but the container ship hasn't even left china..... They are estimating to be in stock around mid to late August.

These decoys are really nice, so much so that the painted honkers have a new paint on them that reduces glare just like the ffds do, the new decoys do not come with bags,

For whatever-the reason they don't have the old honker deeks I don't know.... You can still find them if your lucky but other wise patience is a virtue. Avery pro staffers got them already have them, and they are phenomenal, even besides the price from the prograde between 150-190. Depending where you buy them, the only better decoy in my mind are dave smith
Fowlshooter
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:43 am

blackwagon wrote:I would check out final approach lessers they come with a base and bag and you can make stakes for them real easy! I ordered 10dz tim newbold lesser and went and picked them up and they literally they are not any bigger than your hand spread out! I dont know why ghg quit making the old lessers and honkers if thats what people want why stop making them! I talked to a guy at rogers and he said that he doesnt believe a word avery says bc they had ordered the ffd honkers and they tell them a date that they will be in and they never show up. They ask the territory rep and he cant give them an answer thats pretty crapping business. Then avery tells them that they got some in and didnt like mold so they sent the mold off to get it reworked. A prostaffer also told me that they were having more problems getting them shipped over from china and it was getting harder to get into the us and it was costing more. IMO they are making everything smaller not sending bags or bases to cover there costand by making them smaller it cuts down on the material it takes to make them and charge more for the decoy!

At first when I got the TN Lessers I was skeptical of the size. I ended up running a straight spread of them and guess what geese sucked right in. Theirs guys who love those small decoys because they can fit more in the back of their truck. It did turn buyers away because of the size; however, in all honesty I hope Avery leaves em the way they are. The motion on them is awesome. I think the decoys move better being on the stakes. Try em out before you rip on em guys I think you'll be suprised.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby brentbullets » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:37 am

Really Fowlshooter?

DSD'S are the only decoy that is better? Do you think the new paint will melt snow also?

If the boat hasn't left China yet there is a very small chance these decoys will be available until Sept. sometime.

I am on my to Game Fair hoping to see these new decoys and the new FA's.
brentbullets
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Fowlshooter wrote:All right....

I have been looking online for 2 weeks and been searching everywhere for the Avery ghg goose decoys, I have even called multiple stores across America and this is what I got

Avery ghg are discontinuing a lot of the old style honkers, if you are very very lucky you just might find a store that has a box or two.....why you ask?

Avery ghg has came out with a completely new honker decoy, new carving, new paint, offered in the pro grade painted and ffd. And the ghg elite painted and ffd.
There has been a manufacturing problem in china, and these decoys were supposed to be in stores a few weeks ago, but the container ship hasn't even left china..... They are estimating to be in stock around mid to late August.

These decoys are really nice, so much so that the painted honkers have a new paint on them that reduces glare just like the ffds do, the new decoys do not come with bags,

For whatever-the reason they don't have the old honker deeks I don't know.... You can still find them if your lucky but other wise patience is a virtue. Avery pro staffers got them already have them, and they are phenomenal, even besides the price from the prograde between 150-190. Depending where you buy them, the only better decoy in my mind are dave smith

You're supposed to put sugar in the koolaid, not cocaine.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby jellotree » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Speaking to the lesser vs. Honker decoy topic, anyone remember those huge magnum goose shells that were the size of a coffee table? Well, back in the day, when everyone had them, geese would shy away from them after a while. Everyone has gone to ultra realistic fullbodies now, but there's a group of hunters I know that still use them. The plop down 24 of these things on grass flats along the river, and they all hide by standing among a big pile of dead wood. None of the guys can call worth a damn, but all season long they do pretty well. I've sat and watched geese bomb into that spread in November. All the guys calling, and sounding like they're blowing kazoos. Birds just seem hypnotized by that spread of mutant geese.
jellotree
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Is there any way to order the new GHG honkers?? A phone number or anything?
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Goose Decoy Forum