Goose Flags & Decoys

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Goose Flags & Decoys

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:58 am

I did some layout blind goose hunting this past season for the first time and loved it! So I bought a Cabela's Northern Flight Ultimate layout blind last night. Got the brown one on sale. I have the basics down on the layout blind and have hunting buddies to help me on that part. What I don't have are any goose flags or field decoys.

I have seen some nice looking flags like the Rig'Em Right Hypnotizer but I saw that some people didn't like it / are staying away from it because the other side of the flag is not camoed. I understand their points but is this really a big deal / deal breaker? Also, any recommendations on a good flag? I assume I only need one.

Also, any recommendations on field goose decoys would be greatly appreciated. How many do you think I need for a hunt with 2 to 3 hunters?

Thanks! :beer:
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.
aclumpkin
hunter

Re: Goose Flags & Decoys

Postby duckdozer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:01 am

we use the avery flag, they are tough and if you think the birds are flaring because of it you can stuff it in your blind without breaking it down. the wing arms are super strong and will not break like others I have tried.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:16 am

Camo would be the last of my flag concerns, given how easy it would be to do with spray paint.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:19 am

duckdozer wrote:we use the avery flag, they are tough and if you think the birds are flaring because of it you can stuff it in your blind without breaking it down. the wing arms are super strong and will not break like others I have tried.

Are you talking about the Avery Power Flag or the Avery Super Flag? I think the Power Flag does not have camo on the back and the Super does.

The more and more I think about it, I am thinking the camo back really isn't necessary.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:20 am

Rick Hall wrote:Camo would be the last of my flag concerns, given how easy it would be to do with spray paint.

True, true
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 am

I highly recommend using a flag,sometimes more important that a call..... I too have an Avery Power Flag and have no problem flaring birds. Give Big Al's Silos a good look,a sponsore of our site.... I lot of bang for your buck! They work great.....I'm running 6 doz. at present!
Last edited by cut_un on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:14 am

aclumpkin wrote:
duckdozer wrote:we use the avery flag, they are tough and if you think the birds are flaring because of it you can stuff it in your blind without breaking it down. the wing arms are super strong and will not break like others I have tried.

Are you talking about the Avery Power Flag or the Avery Super Flag? I think the Power Flag does not have camo on the back and the Super does.

The more and more I think about it, I am thinking the camo back really isn't necessary.

we use both i am more apt to use the black one because of its long distance visibility, th ebirds dont seem to mind it if there are decoys around it, but if we are in a waterway then it can cause some issues and we just stuff it in the blind when done flagging.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:19 pm

i think mine is a F A brand camo one one side black on the other. I once saw white on one side black on the other but never have seen it since does any one have this one?
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:57 am

it is an avery flag, cabelas had them on sale in the bargain cave online for awhile but I cant find it now. Keep looking you will find it.
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
duckdozer
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Don't worry about the camo. I may hunt stubble on day, blackfield the next and green field the following.... the camo is only going to match one of those 3............
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:26 am

You can't go wrong with the Aver Power Flag or Super Flag :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:16 am

Camo on flags isnt necessary at all. I use a straight black Avery Power Flag. The black shows up from long distances as stated.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:21 pm

So you are now hooked and are joining us in the ranks of the goose addicted. :welcome: You have a good blind ,I have gotten great service out of my " Ultimate" . It is very comfortable blind. Pay extreme attention to camoing it into your surroundings the better you hide the better your hunt will be . As for decoys ; if you can afford it, avoid the frustration and buy six dozen QUALITY Fully flocked field decoys and let the carnage begin. With regard to your flag ; we use sevaral different manufacturers flags and they all seem to work equally well. Buy the time the geese realize your flag isn`t camoflaged on the back they should be well on their way to meeting Jesus. One more important item in the mix . Scouting insures great hunts . If you fail to scout there`s a good chance you will go without . Best of luck.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun May 26, 2013 11:50 am

I just lay mine down in the field when not in use...no big deal :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:01 am

Awesome layout blind choice! I've used the Ultimate for two seasons so far. Just bought the Elite as a walk in/extra blind. It's only 14 pounds! I think that's 8 lighter than the Ultimate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4
Takeem406
hunter

Postby don novicki » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:56 pm

I have a 5' broom handle with a 2' square black piece of fabric stapled to it, been using it for years with good results. Don't over think a flag choice.........
don novicki
hunter

Postby fosterGV » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:12 am

check out feet down designs flag system, looks like a great way to hunt from hedgerows or aframes.
Gander Valley Custom Calls
fosterGV
hunter

Postby erp10 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:21 am

don novicki wrote:I have a 5' broom handle with a 2' square black piece of fabric stapled to it, been using it for years with good results. Don't over think a flag choice.........

Sean Mann uses a version of this. I think I'm gonna give it a try.
erp10
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum