Is this a good speck spread and how can I improve it?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Is this a good speck spread and how can I improve it?

Postby ARduckboy24 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:21 pm

I will have 2 dozen ghg pro grade speck shells and 1 dozen Fullbody Dakota snows plus a flag. Should I use a canda or snow flag .should I add some flyers. What else should I add. I will be hunting a muddy bean field right next to a sanctuary but have been able to get birds to fly in range just calling. Any tips please help. Plan to shot snows, specks, and Canada's. Mainly specks. Will have one speck call.
Last edited by ARduckboy24 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Re: Is this a good sock spread and how can I improve it?

Postby jeepman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:56 am

Try it all in different combinations. I'm speaking on behalf of my hunting experiences with greaters and blues in my area, but they are difficult to bring in. What works one day or even for one flock may be different for the next. constantly trying different things i think will help you the most. what you might be able to get away with hunting canadas might not work with snows. I think your spread is a bit small to pull snows off of a sancuary, but it's a start and don't hesitate to switch things up when you sense what you are doing isn't working. I think thats more important than having top of the line gear and 10 grand worth of fullbodies in your spread.
jeepman
hunter

Re: Is this a good speck spread and how can I improve it?

Postby ARduckboy24 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:25 am

Thanks I actually Manage to get at least one group of about 20 or so to come pretty close with my speck call. There are a lot of singles and pairs to that fly around also. On Canada's ill be hunting them in a different place that's private land. And trying to snag some locals around the sanctuary.
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby jeepman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:03 pm

Those singles and pairs are the best to hunt because the less sets of eyes looking at your spread the better. Here it's not too bad in the spring, but the fall season we have huge flocks and it's tough to convince them to commit. Great to hear that your on the birds just don't hesitate to switch things up if it gets slow.
jeepman
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Can't wait for the season to come back around!
ARduckboy24
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum