Any Prep Work Needed For Flocking Brand New Heads?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Any Prep Work Needed For Flocking Brand New Heads?

Postby bloodnguts » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:11 pm

If I were to buy some brand new G & H goose decoys that don't have flocked heads, can I go straight to using the flat, oil based paint everybody talks about for applying flocking, or do I have to go through the trouble of sanding all the heads first so things adhere better? I'm thinking about super mags, so sanding a bunch of those big heads would be a pain. I'd do it if I had to though, to turn out a better finished product, but it sure would be nice if I didn't have to. Never flocked a goose decoy before.
bloodnguts
hunter

Re: Any Prep Work Needed For Flocking Brand New Heads?

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:21 pm

I just cleaned mine with alcohol and they seem to be holding up well............
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:05 pm

Another product that works well as a last step before applying adhesive to the surface is to use engine starter fluid . Spray the surface to be coated then wipe immeadiately with a new paper towel . If the heads have good paint I wouldn`t try to sand . Spray ,wipe, coat and flock.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:10 pm

i have burnt them just a little with a small torch just enough to make the oil to show up
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum