Help with selection and spread

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Help with selection and spread

Postby tstueck » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm new to waterfowl hunting and I'm looking for some starter decoys preferably shells does anyone know where to get some?
And I'm in wisconsin where you don't usually see hundreds of geese during the season would you have to put out 2to 3 doz dekes out or maybe just a dozen?
tstueck
hunter

Re: Help with selection and spread

Postby jeepman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:20 am

If you are looking for deal i would start at Rogers sporting goods or Dunns sporting goods around this time of year they have huge clearance sales and you should be able to pick up shells cheap. you can also just do google searches on shells and see what comes up and comapre prices.
jeepman
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:35 pm

As stated, Rodgers is a great place to get some deals. I would recomend also having a few full bodies along with your shells. 6 good looking full bodies mixed in will add alot of realizm at your X. Would also say, ,if you get into more geese in the late season and need to add numbers to your spread, Silo decoys are also a very effective,less expensive way to go as opposed to full bodies/shells. Easy to get 3 or 4 doz more decoys in and out of the field.
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Im in Wisconsin and we get fields every year with 300+ geese using them. I would reccomend the GHG Life Size Goose Shell Harvester pack. They are the best shells you can buy and are not bad price wise. The more full bodies you can get the better. You will kill more geese than you think using a dozen full bodys and a dozen shells if you hide good.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:18 am

Always cheap shell decoys on craigslist...with a flocking kit you can bring them back to life.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum