The Ideal Quick Spread For The Solitary Hunter

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

The Ideal Quick Spread For The Solitary Hunter

Postby bloodnguts » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm kind of looking for suggestions for the ideal decoy spread for my circumstances, as I have no goose decoys right now and need to buy some. I will almost always be hunting alone or with just one other person, most likely one of my sons or my aging dad. I live in Wisconsin and can only shoot two geese, so four if I have a son or dad with me, which means I don't want to spend a whole lot of time setting up a huge spread when a hunt could end so quickly if things go right. I drive a small Jeep Cherokee with a cargo hauler for the hitch, but I don't have the storage and hauling capacity for some major full body decoy spread. One option I was thinking about was purchasing two dozen super magnum G & H Canada goose shells. These decoys can obviously stack on top of each other to minimize space, and would most likely fit nicely on my cargo hauler. If I went this route, I would flock all of the heads, which would really make these things stand out, but wouldn't be an overwhelming project since I'd only have two dozen. I could throw my layout blind, gun and shells in my jet sled, and stack and strap the decoys on top of the sled for one trip out into the field. Two dozen of these big boys with flocked heads should be very visible to geese for a country mile, would help easily conceal a layout blind or two, be pretty quick to set up and take down, and should get a few geese in close enough to pick off a one or two man limit. I guess another option is an all silo spread, but I've heard mixed reports on using an all silo spread, they probably wouldn't be quite as visible for long distances, wouldn't conceal my layout as well, and I'd probably have to buy a good six dozen minimum to gain the needed visibility for an all silo spread. What are your thoughts on a spread for my circumstances and thanks in advance for your suggestions.
bloodnguts
hunter

Re: The Ideal Quick Spread For The Solitary Hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:22 pm

2 dozen GHG FFD Fullbodys will put a lot more geese on the ground than all the shells you can fit in your car
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Tons of guys use silos to break up the outlines around their blinds. You also have to consider yes you need more silos but they also cost less. And Iv noticed as far as the mixed reviews go people either don't like them because they don't trust them and love their fullbodys, or they arnt using them right. Good luck on your choice though!!
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:51 pm

I would get two dz shells and 2 dz silos to fill in and you should be good to go and don't forget the flag.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:16 am

4 dozen sillos and a dozen sleeper shells.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:38 pm

Justin Weber wrote:2 dozen GHG FFD Fullbodys will put a lot more geese on the ground than all the shells you can fit in your car

There's your answer :thumbsup: also I would look on Craigslist because I've seen some shocking deals on decoys
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby gooshnr » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:29 pm

If price is not a concern go with 8 dave smith honkers forget the layout and hunt the field edge.
gooshnr
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:38 pm

We ended up hunting the field edge a lot last year. Still used layout blinds to hide in but I was suprised at how little the geese cared about getting close to the edge.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:34 pm

You cant go wrong with 2-5 dozen full body decoys. Avery/GHG has so many realistic poses that your spread can look very realistic. Once you get the full bodies, you can always add shells or silhouettes :thumbsup:

In NC, you don't ever need to run more than 5 dozen decoys...if even that. A normal spread for us is 25-48 decoys. Part of that is probably because we have no geese where I am :help: :help: :mad: :mad:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby noweil » Fri May 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Super mag shells still kill geese even though they aren't real popular with hunters now days. I don't know that the size is needed. I often hunt alone and have been using old one piece shell decoys since 1989 when hiking in to hunt. I can hike a dozen with T stakes in a duffel bag a long ways with my blind on my back and gun in my other hand. I can use these decoys in fields and shallow water. I have killed lots of geese with these decoys. They are not flocked and I land plenty of geese in them. I break the decoys into 2 groups with a landing area between the 2 groups and my layout blind off to the side ~20-25 yards from the landing area. I don't set me blind in the decoys and have plenty of success. If taking a smaller spread I will put my arms thru the foot bases of 2-5 big foots with blind on my back and gun in one hand. I have great success with small spreads. Makes it simple to hunt with the car. I don't know where you are in WI but I hunt WI and IL. If you have any questions let me know.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun May 26, 2013 11:47 am

The full bodies are great but can be a pain to get in & out. Shells being stackable are a bit easier and still look good to the goose! Myself, have pretty much switched out to an all silo spread. Most days, I'll place all my feeders on my X with ample room between em, then place my uprights in a scond grouping,as if they have landed and are walkin in. The uprights is where my blind is,the heads up will help hide my layouts. Seems to work with residents and migrators as well.
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Greeny » Thu May 30, 2013 8:17 am

Hidgion Alfa wobblers I don't personally have experience but these might be what your looking for stackable full body's
Greeny
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:13 am

Hunted over em last season! :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Greeny » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:28 am

@cutem do they look really good? i herd could fit 36 in a slotted decoy bag pretty easy that true?
Greeny
hunter

Postby jeepman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:41 am

If you are going to hunt by yourself i would go with 18 full bodies( 3, 6 slot bags) and or some silhouettes to mix in. I'm not a fan of shells because they don't look as good, and you will have to put heads on to set up and take off to stack the shells. I just think it's a PITA when you are already doing everything else.
jeepman
hunter

Postby DeadOnArrival Lanyard Guy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:39 pm

Right now I currently run 2 dozen flocked shells and I hunt in small groups not often larger than 2 or 3 guys. I live in MN and we have a decent limit during our early goose season and I have had an issue bringing te geese in close enough to knock a couple down. But with that being said I just ordered 2 dozen full body deeks to mix in with my shells because they look so much more life like and these will also provide movement in my spread with a slight breeze. All in all if you decide to use shells you will be alright I think they produce opportunity to kill fowl, just make up for them with some excellent calling and you'll be dropping birds left and right!

Good luck my friend, and happy hunting!
D.O.A lanyards

Choot 'em, Choot 'em !!
DeadOnArrival Lanyard Guy
Newb

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:43 am

tornadochaser wrote:4 dozen sillos and a dozen sleeper shells.

Sent from my DROID Pro

This.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum