Best way to store and transport shells?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Best way to store and transport shells?

Postby sstermer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:55 pm

I have been wanting a better way to store and transport my goose shells. How does everyone store and transport theirs? I was thinking a 6 slot honker bag should hold 3 dozen or so. What do you all think? I am certainly open to suggestions. We hunt several places were we have to walk a ways.
Pass the tradition, introduce a child to the outdoors.
sstermer
hunter

Re: Best way to store and transport shells?

Postby m3500 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:03 pm

If you can stack'em up on top of each other and put them in a six slot full body bag.
Last edited by m3500 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it flies it dies, if it just sits there it dies too.
m3500
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Ive had my shells in a normal mesh decoy bag before but mine are pretty heavy and that's a pain. A 6 slot bag will definitely work and worth a try. Dunns sporting goods has 6 slot bags on sale, 20 bucks and free shipping. Give it a try but best to keep each bag on the light side for weight.
jscheirer
hunter

Postby Gooseband » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:48 pm

jscheirer wrote:Ive had my shells in a normal mesh decoy bag before but mine are pretty heavy and that's a pain. A 6 slot bag will definitely work and worth a try. Dunns sporting goods has 6 slot bags on sale, 20 bucks and free shipping. Give it a try but best to keep each bag on the light side for weight.

Wow thanks for saying something about dunns having them so cheap Tough deal to pass up thanks!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Gooseband
hunter

Postby sstermer » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:28 am

Thanks for the input, I ordered 2 bags of those bags from Dunn's to try it. For that price I am sure they will come in handy. :thumbsup:
sstermer
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:46 am

You guys ever have a problem with the first goose shell in the stack trying to collapse... from the pressure of the other decoys putting pressure of it????
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:43 pm

I ordered 3 of the bags from Dunns. They have a very nice shoulder strapped that is padded and everything is pretty quality from what i can see.

As for the shells collapsing, never had that happen. If it would make a difference my shells are stored upside down, then others added inside it. What brand shells are they?
jscheirer
hunter

Postby sstermer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:35 pm

cut_un wrote:You guys ever have a problem with the first goose shell in the stack trying to collapse... from the pressure of the other decoys putting pressure of it????

I have one dozen of the GHG hot buys that do this a little, but they still stack.

I got the 6 slot bag and loaded it with 3 dozen shells, could even fit maybe a dozen or so more. It worked well to organize and keep everything neatly stacked. Each slot nicely fits 6 shells and heads. (could probobly fit 8 if needed) The only issue I have now is that it weigh's around 75 pounds. Think I will be buying a hand cart to haul the bag's with, this and my blind will haul about 2 dozen more so I should be set. :grooving:
sstermer
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:47 pm

Think I will be buying a hand cart to haul the bag's with, this and my blind will haul about 2 dozen more so I should be set.

If you are on a budget you could use a wheelbarrow? With wider tires it might be better suited going through fields as well. On another note if you already have 3 dozen or more shells, I would recommend getting some silos. Light weight and work well also. If your doing walk in hunting mostly that loss of weight could be a life saver. Good luck!
jscheirer
hunter

Postby sstermer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:53 pm

Silo's are my next purchase. Been looking at the big Al's, they look mighty good for the price. :thumbsup:

The game cart I was looking at has a double wheel kit option for better flotation. Although a big wheelbarrow does sound nice and the wife would like the "dual purpose" of it. :fingerhead:
sstermer
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:05 pm

Haha of course you have to please the wife right??... :bow: you can buy silos or make them, of course there are threads on it so I won't stay on that topic for too long. I've heard just black and white silos work well though
jscheirer
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum