Anyone here ever try using stains on faded FFD's?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Anyone here ever try using stains on faded FFD's?

Postby DkKiller » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:03 pm

In particular I want to touch up my badly faded FFD Speck Decoys (Avery) I have seen it done once but unfortunately I can not get a hold of the guy who did this to his decoys. Which color/brands specifications etc is what I'm looking for. Any PM's or replies appreciated.

:help:

I know spray paint is an option just thought the staining would be easier and look a little better.

Thanks,
DK
DkKiller
hunter

Re: Anyone here ever try using stains on faded FFD's?

Postby DkKiller » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:53 am

Well I went and tried the stain on my Avery FFD's and after several test runs it worked out great. :thumbsup:

I recommend touching up any areas where the flockng has come off with a dark color paint to match the back or neck color
Tips. USE DARK WALNUT stain do not use light walnut, Chestnut, or several others which appear like good matches.

I found using a staining pad to apply the stain worked best. Its much easier to layer the color on. Just do the backs, neck and head. Do not use a brush or something which absorbs a lot, this will transfer too much of the stain. Where I applied the stain with a brush or foam brush it's taking two weeks or longer to dry and bleeding was an issue. I applied stain to the barred up sections on the chest and this was not favorable as too much bleeding occurred. The side bars are easy to apply with a foam brush but only apply in a "tight" line as it will expand triple on what you dabbed.

I got caught up in staining so no before and after pics. I can send the final product out if necessary. Very easy to do when using the staining pad. This is sort of a tight cheese cloth about 1" thick and 4" x 6" size.
DkKiller
hunter

Re: Anyone here ever try using stains on faded FFD's?

Postby DkKiller » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:48 pm

Here are several views on my last couple of decoys after I figured out what to do. As I mentioned earlier I tried staining the bars and this did not work too well. I would skip that area and just do the backs. Apply with a stain pad and NOT a brush as the stain will bleed too much. The 3rd decoy has a poor color choice for the neck and head. This was Chestnut and not recommended.

These three decoys have sat out in the sun for three weeks. I have since added another light coat back ont the backs and they came out nice.

To do this correctly apply a dark walnut stain to a staining pad and lighty stroke on the stain using the pad or cheese cloth. DO NOT go too far down the sides to the white line at the wing. Stop just short of this line as the stain may just bleed into that area. Leave the bars alone if you want to tuch up use black paint with cut outs on paper. Good luck.

Speck Decoy 2.jpg
Attachments
Speck Decoy 3.jpg
Speck Decoy 1.jpg
DkKiller
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum