Best full body lessers

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Best full body lessers

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:54 pm

Am looking to buy some full body Lesser Canadas and my search has turned up three brand names (So far) Tim Newbold's lessers, Dakotas, and Final Approach decoys.
I like the bases on the Final Approach decoys, but which of these are really the best decoy?
Any opinions on this.

What is the best overall deal?

I know there are other recent posts about lessers, but size is not as important to me other than they are less than full size honker dekes.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Re: Best full body lessers

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:14 am

Check out Tanglefree lifesize Canada full bodies. You can get them in FFD or just flocked heads and tails. They are a little bigger than an actual lesser but for the price IMO you cannot go wrong. You can get a dz of them for about $300 with bags just something to check out.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:57 am

I was watching DU TV and they had the new GHG lessers and a live lesser walking around next to one and as far as size wise they are spot on, but you will probably struggle with finding them in stock at most stores as Avery has had trouble filling orders. I believe I heard the Dakota lessers are about the size of most company's larger Canada decoys. FA just came out with new decoys. I think Rogers has them (not on website...call to verify that) so durability has yet to be tested. Personally I would probably go with GHG even though they will shed paint. Good luck!
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:50 pm

Black Smoke wrote:Check out Tanglefree lifesize Canada full bodies. You can get them in FFD or just flocked heads and tails. They are a little bigger than an actual lesser but for the price IMO you cannot go wrong. You can get a dz of them for about $300 with bags just something to check out.

You could pick up some TF Lifesize sure. They run $149.99 for the painted and $179.99 for the ffds. The ffds might come with a free bag sure, but for the money, why not spend 10 bucks more and get the Dakota lessers? INFINITELY tougher than any TF decoy ever thought to be, they are a better looking deek with a darker, truer color and you don't need to bag them unless you want to.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby cONG » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:46 pm

buy :ditto: :ditto: :ditto: :ditto:
cONG
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks for the imput fellows, I'm gonna be looking to add a dozen or so Lessers to my older shells and a 1/2 dozen full body, full sized Canadas that I won at a DU event.
Until last year, I hadn't hunted over decoys for a decade, but I'm starting to get back into it after hunting over friends decoys last season, and realised what I'd been missing out on..... again.
It's a slow rebuilding process, but I'm closing in on the five dozen mark, and even if no one else happens to have dekes on a given hunt, I think I'll have an effective spread on most of those occasions.
Next year will see more!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:20 am

IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:I was watching DU TV and they had the new GHG lessers and a live lesser walking around next to one and as far as size wise they are spot on, but you will probably struggle with finding them in stock at most stores as Avery has had trouble filling orders. I believe I heard the Dakota lessers are about the size of most company's larger Canada decoys. FA just came out with new decoys. I think Rogers has them (not on website...call to verify that) so durability has yet to be tested. Personally I would probably go with GHG even though they will shed paint. Good luck!

Theirs quite a few places that got the Newbolds online. Most have them on sale right now actually.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby blackwagon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:18 pm

There is alot of opinions on the newbolds I ordered 10dz when I went to go pick them up a dz fits in a box and I could get all 10 boxes in the bed of my truck no trailer needed IMO they are way to small. Now final approach has the lifetime guaranteed head connection and they improved there bases since ghg isnt sending bases anymore or bags final approach would be the way to go you get more bang for your buck and it is easy to make stakes for them!

blackwagon
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Well Blackwagon,
I went with your suggestion for a number of reasons. Improved FA decoys from what I'm hearing, $5 shipping from Cabelas also being one, and I liked the looks of 'em.
So now that's done too!

Got my Chocolate Lab a vest today, and a couple extra training bumpers, and he's all set to go.

Now for the motion decoy, and all that will remain is a little flocking on the heads of my shells, and cords and weights on the floating ducks and geese, and I've two months to get those things done.

Boat's ready.

Couple more sporting clay shoots for a final tune-up.

Come on fall!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby blackwagon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:25 pm

I don't think you will regret it!!! I love mine!
blackwagon
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:07 pm

Damn those things are super small I think my Dakota mallards are the same size thanks for posting that picture I was going to buy some cause I have a small boat but those aren't worth buying.n
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:24 pm

Just went to my buddy's house to check out his decoys and talk a little hunting.
Saw his GHG lessers, and they aren't so small really, then he brought out some ffd Dakota lessers, and they are almost black. Back and sides!
They were fully flocked, and way, way too black IMHO.
They'd be like hunting over Black duck decoys with white cheek patches.

BTW: Both Cabela's and Mack's PW have no lessers in stock in GHG or FA in assorted stances.
This is the first of August, and both were out and on B/O since July!
Be warned! If you want lessers, get them ordered now.
Pity the guy that waits 'til next month to order, and thinks he'll hunt over any at the beginning of the season!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum