Full bodies

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Full bodies

Postby freemus43 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:06 pm

Which full bodies do you guys prefer between Dakotas, Bigfoot, GHG, Final Approach and why? Also what do you guys think of the new DOA goose decoys?
Canceling the Migration One Day at a Time
freemus43
hunter

Re: Full bodies

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:28 pm

In order of durability, looks and overall cost to own from WORST to BEST:

1. FA. Except for the old eliminator serie, they have had the worst paint of ANY decoy I have ever seen.

2. Avery/GHG. Look good, good motion, Paint and head connections are weakest points. Add horrible service and lack of available product and you know why they're 2nd worst on MY list.

3. Dakotas. Nice, TOUGH decoy with good looks, DECENT, not great motion system. Heavy for their size but who cares when you can chuck em and run em right?

4. Bigfoots are THE standard to which all other decoys currently being made are compared to for durability and longevity. Not perfect, and don't have the most detailed bodies, but IMO precision detail is more to finish HUNTERS than GEESE. If you own BF's you shouldn't need any other decoy unless you want to.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby freemus43 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:17 pm

Thanks for such the descriptive reply! I think I am going to go with the big foots or dakota. I really like both. The pros and cons I see in big foots are Pros-Price and durability and Cons-No motion. How important is the motion though? Also do the geese care about the large feet, does it make them not fully commit or at the distance they will notice the big feet should you have already shot. Pros and cons I see for Dakotas Pros-Motion and realism and cons-More expensive. I am new to waterfowling so what i just said may be totally wrong so if it is someone please correct me!
freemus43
hunter

Postby mojo coot » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:59 pm

I dont really think the feet matter motion good but i have killed bunch of geese over bigfoots you could buy both and mix them they are both good decoys we mix BF and GHG
mojo coot
hunter

Postby freemus43 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:32 pm

Forgot to ask what do you guys think of the avian-x goose full bodies? And floaters?
freemus43
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:44 am

Just something I have noticed about the big foots which is not a big deal until late in the season is that I feel that birds become educated with big foots because I know a lot of people in my area run them so I know people say that the looks of a decoy is what finishes a hunter and not the bird I agree but in the case of late season wary birds you need the best looking most motion decoy you can have because if you are in a place that gets a lot of pressure like where I am then you need good looking decoys or decoys that others dont have. I know that is something that is pretty impossible to know but also think outside of the box when setting the spread dont be original. As for early season birds you could get away with a lot obviously. As for the four listed above I would probably go with Dakota if any of them I have owned all of them except dakotas but hunt with a buddy of mine that has the FFD dakotas and the only problem I have seen is from sliding the dekes in and out of the slotted bags it takes the flocking off the back but could probably be prevented if you individually bagged them. Good luck on your purchase!
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby mojo coot » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:56 am

I hunted over avian good looking decoys but paint dont hold up.i wish big foot would come up with motion syste they used to but not a very good system
mojo coot
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum