Best glue, epoxy repair procedure

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Best glue, epoxy repair procedure

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:05 pm

For the old 747s super mag shell decoys.

If you've ever owned any, you know how fragile the neck rings are on them. I have a number where the previous owners probably turned the heads when putting them on, then the wind catches and rolls them....... presto....... Broken ring!
Bought four dozen at discount last fall, and didn't hunt the broken ones. Need 'em this season tho!

I was thinking Gorilla glue, but I thought there are bound to be fellows here who have already been down this road.
What's the best solution?
Thanks in advance.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Re: Best glue, epoxy repair procedure

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:57 am

Epoxy for plastics or the 3M adhesive for polyethyline/ABS plastics (a lot more expensive than the epoxy) It is a liquid solvent type adhesive and actually melts the plastic to be joined, creating a much stronger bond than any regular glue ever will. Polyethyline is incredibly difficult to bond-it basically has the proprties of Teflon.

http://3mcollision.com/products/adhesives
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Re: Best glue, epoxy repair procedure

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:53 am

At $425 for a case lot from 3M I may have to settle for something less exotic. (Of course I wouldn't need that quanity)

ABS solvent and cement for pipe..... might work?
Should be able to buy that at local plumbing supply house now that I have an idea what they are made of.
Gonna have to see if things are compatable.

Thinking I may have to drill a tiny hole at the end of each crack to stop the rot, and then fill that as well with the cement.

Thanks for the imput. I guess it gives me a place to start?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum