Anyone run all lessers?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Anyone run all lessers?

Postby Dr^ke » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:02 pm

Just curious does anyone run spreads of all lessees? Does it matter between regular size?
Dr^ke
hunter

Re: Anyone run all lessers?

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:09 pm

I have. Ran 6 dozen lesser FBs almost exclusively up until a couple years ago. Size made Jo did on the birds (BIG honkers) that died trying to land in the spread. Geese have very poor depth perception and it has been widely know for a good while that lessers will finish honkers with regularity.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:17 am

Lessers is all I run and I only see my 2 or three a year mixed in with greaters, all we kill around me is greaters. I am running the Tanglefree Lessers this year and I doubt it makes a difference. I run all lessers because it's cheaper and less weight and storage space.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:13 pm

know several guys that switch... The geese don't care one bit and it helps big time in transport& storage.... Wondering... anyone came out with a "lesser BULL decoy""The lookers are fine...I guess :wink: Would want one or two looking over the flock and in a lesser decoy,would be cool!!
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Duck-Hunter » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:51 pm

I have ran all lesser spreads before. The Lessers seem to move more with less of a wind. I usually mix in some oversized just because I have them.
Duck-Hunter
Newb

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:31 pm

I saw some of the GHG cacklers the other day. I was truely amazed by the small size. They are the same size or maybe even smaller than my FB GHG duck decoys. I'm not sure they wouldn't get lost in the stubble.............

My line of thought is that if one can be on the X every day they will work fine but for those days where one has to run traffic I'm gonna want a bigger decoy that stands high in the field and offers great visability from far off........

I suspect big decoys and small decoys require slightly different tactics and settup but once one gets the nuiances worked out both work.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:46 am

I've got a dozen GHG ProGrade lessers. I'm planning on running with just this dozen for walk on hunts. I'm going to be mostly running Big Als Silhouette Decoys, so these will help mix it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4
Takeem406
hunter

Postby blackwagon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:14 pm

I run full body lessers from above the decoys cant really tell if it is a lesser or a honker. You can get more lessers in the trailer without taking all the space up!
blackwagon
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:39 am

It's all we run, and I wouldn't have it any other way. They are smaller, lighter and geese cannot tell the difference. We run 5 1/2 doz. of the pre-cack GHGs when necessary. We also have full size Big Foots, TFs, and Higdon stackables that rarely get used, as the GHG's are at the front of the barn. We will mix in the BFs when on the water, and we have an area to stand 'em up in.
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum