Setting up in the middle of the field

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Setting up in the middle of the field

Postby vegardar » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:57 am

Hi.
Was just wondering if anyone has any experience in setting up in the middle of the Field, compared to setting the hide in the outskirts? Where I hunt geese, there is vegetation (aprox. 2 meters high) all around the Field. The Field is low-cut grass, so there is no great Place to hide - I dont use layout-blind.
My question is, will the vegetation scare the birds? I've read somewhere that the geese may fear predators hiding in the vegetation - making them harder to decoy Down. Any suggestions or experience?

Thanks!
vegardar
hunter

Re: Setting up in the middle of the field

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:51 am

Before layout blinds we would dig down about 6" lay in the trench in camo and cover ourselves with stubble. Another option is a guilie suit to match the field. I think a single or pair of hunters can get by with "extra vegitation in the field better than a large group but you see on hunting shows wher guys will set up a vegitation blind in the middle of the field and have no problem getting bird. It really depends on the area you are in. In my area weed pockets and rock piles are common in the fields so the higher vegetation doesn't bother the birds much.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:17 pm

In the area of the country I hunt, there are many winter wheat fields.
I don't have much experience with laydown blinds, but from I've seen, I'd think a laydown would be a hard sell in any part of the field until the snow comes, and they can be covered with white.
Now I'm hearing that the birds are getting pretty savy about the laydowns earlier in the season each year because they are getting shot at by every one they see, and they pick 'em out real quick.
I wonder if mixing some of the old G&H 747s in the set, and dressing in the same colors in a fetal position in the spread, wouldn't buy you a few more close in shots where the birds have gotten laydown wary?
May not be quite so comfortable, but being just one more big brown/gray lump in the set of big brown/gray lumps might work?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Bring a small rake and get the Avery layout blind pad or just a small roll of carpet. Rake the wheat or grass up and put it around you right on top of your camp clothes. You can get crazy and get a ghille. Also try not hunting right behind where you expect to finish I have great luck on weary birds hunting 25yds to the left or right of the landing zone so your in the perifferal of where the geese are looking. Just need to add a little lead on your crossing shots. Also be careful about digging dirt in a farmers fields nothing will get you kicked out of a hunting spot like potholes while he is cutting grass in his tractor
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:31 am

We don't have a lot of winter wheat but fields around here "green up" from waste grain is pretty good between harvest and snowfall when the farmers doesn't get the opportunity to work them. It's essentially the same as winter wheat and layout blinds are still very effective provided you stuff plenty of green in the straps.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum