Thoughts on mixing full body brands

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Thoughts on mixing full body brands

Postby Dr^ke » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:38 pm

Whats your opinion on this? A guy at work today told me when he gets new decoys he sells his old ones and gets new ones all the same brand so they all match and look the same. Says it looks more natural. Is this a load of sh1t or a valid point? I kind of thought it would look better mixed because you might have some lighter or darker geese but i don't know.
Dr^ke
hunter

Re: Thoughts on mixing full body brands

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:02 pm

The "So they all LOOK the same" part is a crock of poop Every goose looks a little diferent from the last one. The BIG and more important reason to have all the same brand deeks is so you don't have to fumble and fart around with multiple types of stakes or stands and motion systems in the cold wee hours of the morning. I HATE doing that and once I get rid of part of the last of my current spread, Ill be going all ONE BRAND of goose FB to go along with my Skinnies-IF I even go with FBs at all. :thumbsup:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:07 am

I do like differences in my duck decoys, not too worried about in the geese. The differfent positions take care of that with a goose spread. I agree with DSM as to running the same brands, simply alot easier in the am. You see /hear of alot of guys selling out and going with a different brand. I think they simply look better to them, not so much to the goose.
You can always add to your spread with a few different head positions, like adding a Bull or two. Size also.... add a lesser or three. But, over all, a single brand with all the head position/poses offered will kill all the geese you want to clean :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:06 pm

I like mixing my full bodies! I think (personal opinion) with the ups and downs in the fields I hunt, the different sizes makes up for the different terrains. Using different brands just adds to the realism, so my decoy spread doesn't look like a dead flock. When I hunt with other guys and they have different brands than I do, I think the spread looks alot better. I don't like the silos all that much but it adds to the 3-D effect I am trying to convey. :thumbsup: Buttttttt.......it does make sense to run only 1 brand it IS a hassle in the AM to diddle/fart around with different stands :huh:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:09 am

In many areas during the migration there may be 3-4 or more supspecies intermixed with different sizes and coloration. Even in the early hunts there may be several different hatches meaning different sizes and colorations of birds.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:14 am

Has he ever seen a flock of geese in a field? Most definitely different sizes and shades. Mixing them will not matter at all.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:10 am

Don't suppose your buddy was speaking of specks? Mixing FBs that aren't very similar in size and tone is a bad idea for them - at least down on this end of the flyway.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:08 am

For years i ran mixed brands of fullbodies, always buying when i found deals, but after a while the 4 or 5 different kind of stakes/bases got to be a pain, especially when setting up with guys that didn't know the difference.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:39 am

I'm talking Canada's. Can't speak for specks it's a very rare sighting on my end of the flyway.. But I know mixing brands doesn't matter up here. Not uncommon to have lessers and giants in the same field.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum