Flying goose decoy any good?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Flying goose decoy any good?

Postby Outta shells » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:20 am

Bought a bunch of decoys yesterday and got some carry lite full body flying decoys. Has anybody used these? I'm skeptical.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 975 times
Outta shells
hunter

Re: Flying goose decoy any good?

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:55 am

I've had them, and it's a shame you didn't ask before buying. Am surprised they even still make them and might have saved you some money. I suppose Canadas might be dumb enough to buy in, but specks pushed off them.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Outta shells » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:04 pm

It was a package deal so I'm not really out anything. Got 8 dozen G&H shells, 44 foam floaters, 1 dozen ducks and 4 of these flyers for $125. I'm still pretty happy. Thanks for the info! Anyone else have EM work on Canadas?
Outta shells
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:54 pm

No...NO. I've tried them and the old sock style flyers that you mounted to poles. Every single time I put them out they flared the bejesus out of geese. Took em down and birds started to finish.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:56 am

I think it depends on the day just like a mojo. I have only used them twice because they were my buddy's and he had the sock style old school and imo look horrible but we had two out and they were like magnets I swear I never thought it would have worked but haven't ever used one since. I'd give it a try and if the first group doesnt like it take it down asap.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:10 am

Gadgets dont work for big geese!!!!! have good decoys, good hide, good field....
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:03 am

^^^ agree
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:10 am

I have used them...they don't work. I have not had geese flare off of them but they did absolutely nothing.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Outta shells » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:39 pm

Thanks guys. I'm always a little skeptical about stuff like this. I was going to bring them along, kill a few birds, then put them out and see if anything changes. I know I can finish birds without them... I've seen me do it. Looks like these might be going back on Craigslist.
Outta shells
hunter

Postby barrykeicks » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:32 pm

I remember rockin those back in the early 80's. They were a nice complimant to our Carry-Lite full bodies. :lol3: we still shot birds over them though.
barrykeicks
hunter

Postby bobalong » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:33 pm

I have used them up here, I am not really sure if they actually attracted the birds, or they came to the other dekes, but the birds definitely come into the setup. This was our setup for the first hunt of the year, a couple of years back.

This was one of our better "first hunts" of the year, in the past 5 or so.
bobalong
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum