Foam Goose Decoys - Color Vision Test

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Foam Goose Decoys - Color Vision Test

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:58 am

I have been hard at work putting together a large spread of foamers for this season. I finally got around to painting the 5 geese shells floaters I have completed. I worked up 5 different color schemes for geese and painted them up to see which I liked best. I wanted to ask you guys which color scheme or mix of schemes you think looks closest to what you see in the field.

I looked at pictures online then compared them to live birds in the field, and sample feathers I have from last season before trying the different patterns in the pictures.

So now to the vision test. Feel free to be critical of the paint jobs, colors, or layout of the paint jobs. The heads and black / white on the tail of the bird will be flocked once I get the paint jobs where I am happy and the clear coat over the paint.

Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: Foam Goose Decoys - Color Vision Test

Postby bknilvr00 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:13 am

I think the closest one in the top picture looks the best. Its got a more uniform look to it. However, given the proper location, you could kill birds over all of them.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:09 am

Closest one in the top pic for sure. Nicely done
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby bobalong » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:26 pm

I agree the closest one in the top pic, but I would extend the brown feathers on the top of the back a little farther back, covering the tapered area, leaving only the actual tail (square) area black. They all do look pretty good though.
bobalong
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:40 pm

They all look awesome I'd say any of them would kill birds. There way better than anything I could paint.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:34 pm

same as the others, but i wouldnt change a thing as far as painting the tails more. That bigger black area could be an eye catcher to those high fliers
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby honkerhitman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:51 pm

all the decoys look fantastic. it is easy to out smart yourself when painting your own decoys. The fact of the matter is you will shoot birds over any of them. Looks great!
honkerhitman
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:16 am

Those are hands down some of the best foamers that I've ever seen, great job man! I think the one closest to the camera with the greyer body looks most natural but like the other guys have said I think you could kill geese over any of those. :thumbsup:
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum