sportplast goose floaters

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

sportplast goose floaters

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:53 pm

anyone use any of these? They have one they collapses and then some plane floaters. I walk in all my spots and figure their collapsable ones would be great for how/where I hunt. especially for $160/dozen. any input?
LiquidA45
hunter

Re: sportplast goose floaters

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:00 pm

well since over 50 have looked and no one responded I figured I would just order one and see what I think. I'll do an extensive review and report back. seems like a great way for a couple of guys who walk in to set up numerous goose decoys on a budget.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:30 am

Got this thing in last night and I'm very happy with it. Pictures will follow in the next day after I see how it rides in the water.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:47 am

I just looked them up and seems like a pretty unique company with all the products (different species) of decoys tthey have.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:36 am

Black Smoke wrote:I just looked them up and seems like a pretty unique company with all the products (different species) of decoys tthey have.

I see people talking about running all coot spreads, that doesn't even touch the amount of balls it would take to run cormorant decoys haha.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:07 am

That hilarious! I agree..... :hammer:
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:57 am

Left the decoy deflated and folded up in my trunk for 3 days and 2 nights with my shotgun laying on top of it. Pulled it out of the trunk and inflated it back up, no serious creasing to be seen. So far I am happy with it, once it passes the float test this weekend I think I will go ahead and order a dozen of em. You could probably fit close to 3 dozen of these things in a decoy bag compared to the 4 regular floaters I had to arrange like a puzzle to make fit. For someone looking for numbers as far as floaters go, this is the ticket I believe. Decoy practically inflates itself and the rubber seems thick enough to possibly withstand being shot up to 30 yards? I might even test that theory once I get the dozen in. Knutsons sells them for $160 a dozen which I think is a great deal since it would cost roughly $300 to get new floaters.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:28 pm

awesome! I have been looking at these decoys for sometime and have wondered about them. I wanted some for hunting out of my carsten puddler and wanted to carry a doz instead of around three or four. thanks for posting the review. I see they also make these in mallards and thinking about some of them too.
olt d2
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:32 pm

What do you think would be best for cord and anchor system for these?
olt d2
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:03 pm

olt d2 wrote:What do you think would be best for cord and anchor system for these?

I Texas rig all my decoys but just put them in a decoy bag, I did the same with this. Seems like a mess but the pull right out no problem.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:07 pm

olt d2 wrote:awesome! I have been looking at these decoys for sometime and have wondered about them. I wanted some for hunting out of my carsten puddler and wanted to carry a doz instead of around three or four. thanks for posting the review. I see they also make these in mallards and thinking about some of them too.

Yeah they make several species, a guy could make a very portable spread. I'm actually impressed with their Gadwall.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:33 am

I know this thread is old and I may be bringing up a dead topic but I was trying to find more info on these decoys as the ability to pack in more floaters on a walk in hunt or in my kayak would be nice.

LiquidA45 wrote:Got this thing in last night and I'm very happy with it. Pictures will follow in the next day after I see how it rides in the water.

I know it's been while but any long term update? Did you ever buy more? pics?
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:16 am

I never ended up buying more. I want to though. For what your wanting I would suggest buying a couple of quality goose floaters like Avian and then getting some sportplast to add numbers. I used the one I do have all season and had no issues. Paint isn't the most lifelike compared to ghg, avian, Dakota, etc but it's spot on and doesn't chip. Mine has a small crease in it but nothing too noticeable. Ideally I'd like to get a dozen before season.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:53 pm

That was plan was to use them to add numbers primarily when I paddle in to marshes and smaller water where I can't use my boat. Currently when doing so I bring a dozen dakota mallards and four g&h goose floaters, so being able to take some more would be nice. I know there not as life like as better decoys but the price isn't bad if they at least hold up well. They look enough like a goose to fool them and some ducks I think. My main concern is if the paint actually holds up and that will last more than a season and still hold air and not leak.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:14 pm

handyandy wrote:That was plan was to use them to add numbers primarily when I paddle in to marshes and smaller water where I can't use my boat. Currently when doing so I bring a dozen dakota mallards and four g&h goose floaters, so being able to take some more would be nice. I know there not as life like as better decoys but the price isn't bad if they at least hold up well. They look enough like a goose to fool them and some ducks I think. My main concern is if the paint actually holds up and that will last more than a season and still hold air and not leak.

I wouldn't worry about the paint at all. The material is pretty thick, I would compare it to a cheap basketball. Best place to order them is knutsondecoys. Good thing is you can order a dozen, four, or just one. Do what I did, order one and see what you think.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:13 pm

Yeah I saw them on knutsonsdecoys is the only place I can find them will probably buy one to try it like you said then order more if I like them. May even try one of the collapsible full body ones.

handyandy
hunter

Postby noweil » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Sportplast decoys been around for a long time. They used to make all the decoys that Carry-Lite out of Milwaukee sold for years that were manufactured in Italy. I think Knutsons's is the only place selling Sportplast now. Sportplast makes some standard size one piece goose shells that use a T stake. They look like a full body on the stakes. Don't work well on froze or hard dry ground but you can pack a dozen a long ways and the birds decoy to them well. It takes a few minutes to put the stakes in them but they look good set up.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby handyandy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:30 am

Frozen ground is usually a problem for plastic stakes I use a piece of scrap rebar I found that is probably around two feet long with a foot bar I welded on perpendicular to it in the middle with another perpendicular piece welded on top to make the top a t handle. The bottom point is sharpened I use it punch stake holes in frozen ground by pushing on the foot bar with my foot obviously and holding the t handle end. If need be hit with hammer to drive a hole in the frozen ground.

handyandy
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum