Snow Goose spread for Mallards?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Snow Goose spread for Mallards?

Postby TheConservationOfficer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:37 am

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with hunting mallards over a snow goose floating spread. I hunt in an area where snows don't come through, but a large floating spread might do the trick on mallards. Any ideas if that might work?
I am not actually a conservation officer...
TheConservationOfficer
hunter

Re: Snow Goose spread for Mallards?

Postby staticarc » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:30 pm

Very rarely have I ever had mallards land into my snows.
Canadian decoys- yes
The ducks in fact usually stay wide of my snow floaters .
Just my experiance anyway.
Shoulda tried em that last swing...
staticarc
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Shoot ducks over snow field spreads in the fall, but i don't know anybody that even owns more than 12 snow floaters anymore so no idea if it would work...

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:17 pm

snow geese for swans? Think they will work? :huh:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby staticarc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:20 pm

I usually have out about 40 snow/ blue floaters on one side of my pit, and don't think I've ever even shot a duck even flying over that side.
Shoulda tried em that last swing...
staticarc
hunter

Postby TheConservationOfficer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks for the imput!
TheConservationOfficer
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:13 pm

TheConservationOfficer wrote:I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with hunting mallards over a snow goose floating spread. I hunt in an area where snows don't come through, but a large floating spread might do the trick on mallards. Any ideas if that might work?

You hunt an area where you don't see snow geese.. but you think a giant spread of snow decoys might attract mallards? Seems to me like a huge red warning flag to the ducks.

Might as well just get some tree duck decoys and see if the mallards will come to those.

Shouldn't you already know what works if you are a conservation officer?
BBK
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:55 pm

TheConservationOfficer wrote:I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with hunting mallards over a snow goose floating spread. I hunt in an area where snows don't come through, but a large floating spread might do the trick on mallards. Any ideas if that might work?

My buddy Mike was hunting at the 4 Rivers WMA in western Missouri . Some hunters several hundred yds. away had out a Snow goose floater spread . He swears every duck that passed by dumped in on those guys . For a long time after that we had to bring along Snow goose floaters when hunting with him . We were never able to duplicate the results he encountered that day and he has since given up on the snow goose folly.
But there is something along those lines that I know works. Use Canada floater decoys . Everything including snow geese will decoy into them, and Mallards seem to especially love them . In the picture below the only reason there are no ducks is the season had closed a few days earlier . We could have shot limits of greenheads easily that day as they fell into the decoys without hesitation.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:05 pm

Why is your grass on upside down?
BBK
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:47 pm

Good question, I've been considering the same thing since I was buzzed by tons of ducks last spring snow season on my field spread. Just because you don't see snows in your area, doesn't mean the ducks havent seen snows around where they have been or are heading, so it doesn't seem like such a crazy idea. Give it a try!
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:35 pm

I have never had a snow spread out in the fall but I know for a fact during the snow goose conservation order ducks usually dive bomb the snow spread. Last year hunting over a make shift snow floater spread (a bunch of old duck decoys spray painted white and some grey/blue for blue geese) we had ducks buzz us a lot. Over that spread was the first time I ever saw a canvas back we had three drakes come right over us. When I had my field spread out I had green heads and pintails landing ten feet from me. I could see it working. Same for canadian floaters I always put out canadians when duck hunting if helps a lot idk but I have killed plenty of ducks over a canadian and duck floater mixture.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby TheConservationOfficer » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:55 pm

I tried a snow goose field spread for mallards, and it was a magnet! The ducks didn't want to land though.
TheConservationOfficer
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum