silhouette decoys

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

silhouette decoys

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:38 pm

So what if the geese come from an angle that makes the silhouettes look like lines, anyone know what im talking about? Ive never used them and don't want to go spend 200 dollars on full bodies ( not yet at least ) they look like something i could do in a wood shop with some paint. If they work well ill make a couple, any advice on that would be nice too.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Re: silhouette decoys

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:39 pm

I have some homemade silouettes I used for snow goose hunting. I always set them up at right angles to each other. That way no matter which way the birds came in they always saw at least 1/2 the decoys...................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Simple » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:09 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:I have some homemade silouettes I used for snow goose hunting. I always set them up at right angles to each other. That way no matter which way the birds came in they always saw at least 1/2 the decoys...................

This is what I do as well. I have a lot of silhouettes so as I put them out I will rotate each one so that as you walk around your spread you see geese at every angle. Plus I have never really just set out silos, I always set either shells or full bodies or floaters throughout the rest of the silos. It fills in the gaps plus adds a mixture to your spread. I think they are worth every penny.
Simple
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

So how many would you recommend having with a combination of about 3 Big foot feeders, 3 senturies, and 5 resters.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Simple » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:46 am

I think that's the cool part about silos, you can use as many as you want. I'd start with a dozen or two
Simple
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:37 am

It is said one of the advantages of silos is that they present the image of motion. Every angle a flock sees them from presents a different image of the flock as a whole, with some of the decoys disappearing and others appearing.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:44 am

1.5x silhouette decoys to full bodies decoys as a close ratio or slightly less. Don't get into the rester, sentries and others stuff. Silhouette decoys don't normally have sentries and geese still land.

Anyone ever notice when a flock of geese is on the ground they feed and pretty much ignore geese circling and coming in. Once almost on the ground the geese on the ground respond, just being territorial. The only time I have seen geese on the ground respond to birds in the air is when a few peel off a flock and they will call to their own flock. I have never seen geese flair over decoy body positions, shiny decoys, badly hidden blinds and hunters moving their heads, yes I have.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Takeem406 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:25 pm

You place the silos at different positions so no matter how the geese may circle the spread they will see geese.
They are great! We can pack 11 dozen Als in our blinds on two sleds and a dozen Avians. Hard to beat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Takeem406
hunter

Postby bulletman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:03 pm

We have only goose hunted for four years, and after last year I sold all my full bodies. In two seasons we have shot several dozen limits of geese with 5 to 8 dozen silhouette decoys. I bought two dozen and hand made the rest, the geese are sure fooled by them. We can get all 8 dozen, two blimds, all our gear onto two small sleds.
bulletman
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:00 pm

For those of you who have home made silos, what do you use for stakes? Are you able to use them when the ground is all frozen as well?
jscheirer
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:06 pm

we put em in rows with one facing forward and the next one in front of it facing either left or right so no matter what angle your looking they dont look like lines. and i read somewhere that geese vision is kinda wierd cuz they see differently so silhouette decoys dont look flat.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby bulletman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:54 am

I bought steel rod at a steel supply place. 40 bucks for enough 16 inch stakes for our 8 dozen decoys and I have a lot left over. I made a driver out of a small piece of pipe with a cap on one end, the driver is about 3 inches shorter than the stake. In non-frozen conditions I don't need the driver.
bulletman
hunter

Postby ksgoosekilr » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:59 am

Place the decoys at different angles and SPREAD them out. Minimum of 4-5 steps between each decoy. I have 7 dz RG PS2's and they flat out work

ksgoosekilr
hunter

Postby Drivetacks » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:29 pm

Just got a couple dozen silos for Christmas, wondering if I should be considering picking up a 1/2-1dozen full bodies for the pocket and hiding blinds or just go with the silos and maybe pick up another dozen or two for next year?
Drivetacks
hunter

Postby F250 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:18 am

I have 100 home made silos. For stakes I use 1" X 1/4" steel with about 12" below the bottom of the decoys, run it all the way to the top of the decoy and attach it to the silo with 3 - 3/16" stainless steel rivets. Rugged and will not shear off when being jammed in hard ground.
F250
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:58 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:I have some homemade silouettes I used for snow goose hunting. I always set them up at right angles to each other. That way no matter which way the birds came in they always saw at least 1/2 the decoys...................

we do the exact same no matter what angle it looks like geese. we also have plenty of our silos painted all black that we slaugher geese over from a distance you can still see them. i also heard that geese always see in 3d so actually silos look like full bodies but i dont know if thats true
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:54 am

we always run silos with our full bodies for bulk. We run Big Al's and they are amazing decoys for the money and the stakes are great for frozen ground.
Pigeons-201
woodchucks-33
clymerfowler
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum