Looking for advice on silhouettes

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Looking for advice on silhouettes

Postby .243 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:50 am

My field setups for geese vary between 6 and 48 decoys, depending on the field, wind, and numbers of geese and hunters using the location. These decoys are all shells (3dz) and fullbodies (1 dz). Rarely do I need more than that, and we have had some good shoots.

There is one field where I setup and I like to use a narrow, long spread. We are concealed on one side of the dekes, the birds are landing on the other. We shoot over the decoys at close range to the landing birds.

I am looking to build some bulk to the spread with the aim of better defying the landing zone. I use enough decoys to attract birds but sometimes I can't get the shape of the spread that I want. I can not fit any more large decoys in the back of my truck and I will not be bringing a trailer.

I have never used silhouettes of any kind and I am considering adding one or two dozen to build bulk in the spread. Is it a bad idea to mix silhouettes in with other decoys like this? I would continue to use the fullbodies near the landing zone, and the silhouettes near the hunters to build shape and bulk to the spread. I am looking to better define the landing zone.

Any thoughts?
hunter

Re: Looking for advice on silhouettes

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Pick up 2 or 3 dozen silhouettes and mix them in your spread. You'll be fine.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:06 am

yea, you'll be fine mixing them. I always said that if i was goin to buy some, i would go with Avalanch decoys. there fully flocked, but Im not sure if there still in buisness. MIght consider making y/v boards with them for easier set up.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:16 pm

We mix ours most of the time. Use Als and Avians...
But if your running 48 full bodies you should be set! Unless your running traffic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Takeem406
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum