decoy question

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

decoy question

Postby semohunter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:30 pm

I'm starting to get a little more into field hunting for canadas, so ny question.is how decoys do most people use when field hunting, ive always put 8-10 floaters out whe. Duck hunting just to kill a few that would fly off the refuge. Also when working in field mallard decoys how many do you put in the spread?
semohunter
hunter

Re: decoy question

Postby Mugzwump » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:12 pm

There is no real answer for that in my opinion. My theory when field hunting is put out as many decoys as you have. I don't use duck decoys in the fields as I find that just calling ducks over Canada decoys works well enough. But we don't get a lot of ducks over our field.

I guess more is better... with corn fields you have to compete with the main flock these birds are looking for, as well as any other hunters' spreads nearby.

The number one thing on an open field is to be invisible, number two is to pick a field that geese want to be in. Calling at the right time would be third and last is what decoys you use or how many. If you don't have the first three, your decoys are useless anyways.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Sometimes it depends on how many geese are working the area. If you are working small flocks small numbers will do... If you are working large flocks biggers spreads draw better.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:27 am

I've set up 6 decoys this fall and i've set up 260 decoys this fall. Just depends on the situation.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum