Big Al's Silhouettes...Longevity?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Big Al's Silhouettes...Longevity?

Postby bloodnguts » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:06 pm

I don't have any goose decoys whatsoever, nor a truck or trailer for that matter, so I have been interested in seeing a lot of guys going to all silhouette decoy spreads and having good success. I'm kind of entertaining the idea of buying five or six dozen Big Al's silhouette decoys, but I'm having a hard time dealing with spending hundreds of dollars for corrugated plastic. I'm a guy who wants to get many years out of any product I spend hundreds of dollars on. I haven't seen one of these decoys in person to see how the stakes fit in, but it just seems to me the corrugated plastic would eventually wear out where the stakes go in, and become loose, or maybe tear, to the point where the decoys become useless. Can anybody give me an idea how these decoys hold up, and an estimate as to how many years of use one might get out of these decoys? Thanks in advance.
bloodnguts
hunter

Re: Big Al's Silhouettes...Longevity?

Postby jkm » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:05 am

I can't speak to the actual decoys because I am trying to get started myself. I will say that I have quite a bit of experience with the corrugated plastic signs. The stakes we use are metal similar to what I see in some of the pictures. The stakes we use are just barely small enough to fit into the channels of the caorrugated material. It is very strong and durable and lasts quite a while. I cannot speak to the durablilty of the paint.
jkm
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:40 pm

I have been running mine for going on 3 seasons and except for some rubbing here and there and some beak curl from being THROWN around (I'm not gentle on my gear), they have held up great and are still putting birds belly up in the decoys. :thumbsup:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby crumbe » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:08 pm

I have been running 3 Doz all year.....I would echo above...there are a few that have some scratches on then....none have broke or bent. The seem to hold up pretty good.

I carry all 3 Dozen in one Silo Satchel....
crumbe
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:34 am

They are the cats meow! Just don't trip over them! Seems easy enough but in the dark surrounded by the 11 dozen we have its costs us a couple dekes. I think Al still send free samples.
Flocking the black parts with Donjer helps the coloration a lot and keeps the colors nice.

Also we can pack all 11 dozen in our two layouts. Then strap on the Avian X AXF's on top the blinds on a game cart and we are set!

Give 'er a little wing tip! A little wing tip!
Takeem406
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:06 pm

I'd buy real geese. Big als look nice but have some down sides. 1) they are coroplast, once it bends it will have a crease forever. 2 their stakes. Real geese will out last any coroplast decoy IMO.

You can go on ohiowaterfowler.com and for 115 shipped you can have a dozen mag lites real geese. 20 bucks more than big als and a life time of use.

I bought 7 dozen last year, probably/ hopefully build it up to 12 dozen this year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:56 pm

real geese suck compared to big als. try getting real geese in frozen ground without a tool then try a big als. if a goose can see a crease in my decoy from 20 yards its one damn smart goose that will never die.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 65
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:49 am

Small thing to be able to hunt over them for 15 years. I can run 7 dozen RG by myself with a stake punch in 30 minutes or so.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:21 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:Small thing to be able to hunt over them for 15 years. I can run 7 dozen RG by myself with a stake punch in 30 minutes or so.

thats also something else you need to bring that is not needed
Pigeons-231
Geese- 65
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby don novicki » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:13 am

I have a mixture of sillys including Big Al's, Outlaws and Big flock. I have no problem with any of them but if I could I would jettison everything except the Big Al's because the rest of them are so heavy to get in and out of the field. I can put 3 dzn Outlaws in a silly bag but the weight is kind of tough to get into a spot that is a fair walk. Big Als decoys take the weight out of carrying decoys and as I get older thats what it is all about for me. Big Als work, are cost effective and they hold up. Give em a try you won't be disappointed IMO............... :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby AllBusiness » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:08 am

clymerfowler wrote:real geese suck compared to big als. try getting real geese in frozen ground without a tool then try a big als. if a goose can see a crease in my decoy from 20 yards its one damn smart goose that will never die.

From what others have been saying, BigAl seems like a good guy, that said, I have a sample BigAl. Granted it's been pretty cold this year, I have a patch of lawn that has been snow free for about a week...I cannot for the life of me get my BigAl in the ground. The harder I push, the more the stake bends.
How are you guys getting these decoys in frozen ground witout the need of a stake punch? Are you heating them? :huh:
AllBusiness
hunter

Postby don novicki » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:19 pm

Battery operated drill......................... :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby AllBusiness » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:16 pm

don novicki wrote:Battery operated drill......................... :thumbsup:

So what you're saying is use a bit like you would if you were to run RealGeese in frozen ground? Obviously smaller though?
AllBusiness
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:03 pm

AllBusiness wrote:
clymerfowler wrote:real geese suck compared to big als. try getting real geese in frozen ground without a tool then try a big als. if a goose can see a crease in my decoy from 20 yards its one damn smart goose that will never die.

From what others have been saying, BigAl seems like a good guy, that said, I have a sample BigAl. Granted it's been pretty cold this year, I have a patch of lawn that has been snow free for about a week...I cannot for the life of me get my BigAl in the ground. The harder I push, the more the stake bends.
How are you guys getting these decoys in frozen ground witout the need of a stake punch? Are you heating them? :huh:

I have the real geese stake. I carry 4 dozen of them on my left arm. As I punch a hole, my left hand is pulling a decoy out. Pretty quick, I was doing it through 8" of snow.

I have used mojo poles and they work well to. I haven't held a big ALS in years but I have a dozen real geese Eco snow goose decoys and they have two metal legs on them (similar to big ALS). I can't get them in the ground for the life of me. I've bent those things all to heck, they just sit in my garage now.

Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby cuppedandkilled » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:09 pm

I had a couple hunts this year with the temps well below zero. The ground was chisel plowed field was frozen solid. I had no issue getting Al's decoys in the ground, without a punch. My bro-in-law had a couple dozen real geese, and they also went in fine. Not as easy, but they werent a bear either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
cuppedandkilled
hunter

Postby bobalong » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:19 pm

I have been using them for two seasons now, and so far they have held up well. I glued my stakes into the body, for ease of removal and because the hunting buddies would grab the top of the decoy when picking them up, leaving the stake in the field. Trying to find the stakes after was a real PIA , thought about just painting the tips red/orange that go into the body so I could see them better, but decided to just glue them in, instead. That has worked well so far.

Have not had to use them in frozen ground yet, but I would have a punch of some kind made, similar to the RG one, if I hunted in frozen ground a lot.
bobalong
hunter

Postby Back for more » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:02 pm

yep don't have that problem here in New Mexico. Big Al's H stakes stick just fine in our sandy rivers ,winter wheat or corn fields.

Then again , I can't really say I know brutal cold either haha. lowest we get is around 30 degres. :no: FREEZING

Can't beat a company that has a good owner and product. Big Al's are the first product I chose to stand behind.
Big Al's " Take Em " Silhouette Decoys Pro Staff

You shot A banded bird ? That's CUTE

Lord forgive me , for sometimes I shoot hens
Back for more
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:41 pm

I've used real geese with great success, look great and have multiple head positions. Though I haven't used big ALS, there's a lot of people who stand behind them. But IMO I would get real geese, they just look better to me....
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:27 am

RG 1 or RG 2 all day long for me. Flocked heads and tails!!

Had 2doz BA's mixed in one hunt recently that a friend brought, we couldn't figure out why the geese wouldn't finish, so I backed off to Veiw our spread and noticed a shine, Yep, took down the BA's and bombed them that day. Having said that, I'm only referencing to their Canada Silo's, I have no experience with his other models.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum