Decoy quantity???

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Decoy quantity???

Postby jkm » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:07 pm

Moved over here from the HH. My group has been seeing tons of geese not too far outside gun range. The ducks have not bee cooperating so we are going to try to decoy a few geese. Would a few shells, a few full bodies, and 100 or so sock type decoys be worth a try or should we be thinking more. Any advice appreciated.
jkm
hunter

Re: Decoy quantity???

Postby sooner737 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:19 pm

In my very inexperienced opinion more more more. You can coax in the smaller groups but once you lose a big group the rest will follow. This of courses could just be bc we aren't goose hunters at heart but not stupid about it either. We kill early small groups but once this platoon of 600 came to the area that was it for us.
sooner737
hunter

Postby joemc » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:25 pm

heck ive had geese decoy to 8 full bodys in the smallest ugliest soy bean field ever, if you want big groups of geese you need big decoy spreads, I normaly run 2-3 dozen fullbodys and have did well in the past, its all about your location if your really on the x you don't even need decoys.
TEAM FOWL ADDICTION
2013/14 season
deer-3
woodies-1
ruddys-14
canvasback-2
Canada geese-16
turkey-2 big toms
joemc
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:43 am

I run 78 minimum. If I can get the right combos of buddies we will run 150 to 200. All full body, all DSD. We often have flocks that range into the 100's and possibly the 1000's.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby noweil » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:02 pm

A dozen or fewer will work. I got over the more more more mindset a long time ago. I have hunted with others over a couple hundred full bodies and done well. I kill my geese with 2-12 decoys in the field and 3-11 decoys on the water and I shoot my birds in range in the decoys. I often land the geese if I tale an 87 year old guy along. That way he can swat one and be happy, then I'll take mine on the jump.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:49 am

^This. Also, young geese can be easily intimidated as well in earlier seasons. I've noticed its extremely hard to get big groups to commit unless you're truly on a good spot and they want to be there. I'd rather take groups of five all day than one or two big groups.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:24 am

Regarding the large flocks even if the flock passes a large decoy spread, a flag and a few callers can peel one or two down. But, never have I ever had a flock of more than 40 finish in the decoys unless it's snowing white conditions.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:52 am

KillerKowalski wrote:Regarding the large flocks even if the flock passes a large decoy spread, a flag and a few callers can peel one or two down. But, never have I ever had a flock of more than 40 finish in the decoys unless it's snowing white conditions.

this year we've had groups of 50-100 landing in the decoys with 4 doz decoys probably a 50/50 mix of full bodies and shells. Multiple days, temps ranging form 25-40.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:57 am

Well, I should add I hunt a location that is heavily pressured. A weekend will have about 150 spreads around the lake
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby noweil » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:19 pm

Killer, Those are the same pressured situations I experience around Crab Orchard years ago when I went to my 2 goose spread and killed 11 geese in the last week of a 90 season with a 2 bird limit. That was in a public walk in field with little to no calling. I had geese come in silent and land while I was sleeping. If I would have been a better shot I could of had a couple more birds.

It always seems like people are looking for something different or the newest latest greatest thing to kill birds. Yet they all seem to be doing about the same thing. 10+ dozen full bodies, a flag, and a short reed. I know when there is competition for every field numbers can work, but so can little numbers. I've hunted with enough people in enough areas thru the years to see that most guys are doing about the same thing. 6-8 years ago a buddy was hunting a public area and wasn't having much luck. He invited me down to hunt when our season up north closed. I told him we would take my decoys. In the morning he was really having a rough time with me not wanting him to bring his decoys. I know he was upset with me when I set out 5 goose floaters and 7 duck decoys, with the ducks about 75 yards away. The site rules were you had to have at least 12 decoys and duck ended the day before. We didn't murder them, but we had geese come in and lite and groups of geese fly right over us low enough to easily pass shoot them. We did as good as many of the big spreads on the site and better than others. My buddy still ins't sold on my little spreads, he uses a pile of decoys whenever possible.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:06 pm

Noweil, I hunt Braidwood so you are familiar with the pressure. Anyways, a lot more people are using smaller spreads. Fellow hunter at the club uses 5 decoys and kills. Always possible.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:46 am

There is a little secret in this book of a famous outdoor writer and hunter. Im going going to tell all the details because its not well known, but little to say hes killed more geese over three goose decoys than any other spread, although im not tellin how he sets them! :beer:
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:14 pm

noweil wrote:Killer, Those are the same pressured situations I experience around Crab Orchard years ago when I went to my 2 goose spread and killed 11 geese in the last week of a 90 season with a 2 bird limit. That was in a public walk in field with little to no calling. I had geese come in silent and land while I was sleeping. If I would have been a better shot I could of had a couple more birds.

It always seems like people are looking for something different or the newest latest greatest thing to kill birds. Yet they all seem to be doing about the same thing. 10+ dozen full bodies, a flag, and a short reed. I know when there is competition for every field numbers can work, but so can little numbers. I've hunted with enough people in enough areas thru the years to see that most guys are doing about the same thing. 6-8 years ago a buddy was hunting a public area and wasn't having much luck. He invited me down to hunt when our season up north closed. I told him we would take my decoys. In the morning he was really having a rough time with me not wanting him to bring his decoys. I know he was upset with me when I set out 5 goose floaters and 7 duck decoys, with the ducks about 75 yards away. The site rules were you had to have at least 12 decoys and duck ended the day before. We didn't murder them, but we had geese come in and lite and groups of geese fly right over us low enough to easily pass shoot them. We did as good as many of the big spreads on the site and better than others. My buddy still ins't sold on my little spreads, he uses a pile of decoys whenever possible.

reminds me of a few local kids. They want to put out more deocys than there are birds within a 100mi radius!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:02 am

I scout the birds and watch the first and last flocks and cont the average birds in a flock and then match the size of the flock usually it is about 3 dz decoys shell but 4 dz silos.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Goose Decoy Forum