Canada Goose Floater Decoys

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Canada Goose Floater Decoys

Postby Tyrel Palmer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:45 pm

Looking to pick up my first set of goose decoys. I want to get floaters since all the geese here seem to be out in the water most of the time, and I hunt the wetland/tideflats anyway in SE Alaska. I've seen Avery Greenhead Gear, Flambeau, Final Approach and even Cabelas brand floaters in mainly 4 packs. what is the best brand for the money. I'm going to be pretty limited since I'm also getting my duck spread sorted out at the same time. So whats the best inexpensive dekes for geese?
If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot at.
Mallards 2
Green-Wing Teal 18
Shoveler 2
Scaup (bluebill) 2
Tyrel Palmer
hunter

Re: Canada Goose Floater Decoys

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:44 am

Bigfoots.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Tyrel Palmer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:07 am

Haven't seen any floaters for them, I'll go and take a look around for them.
If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot at.
Mallards 2
Green-Wing Teal 18
Shoveler 2
Scaup (bluebill) 2
Tyrel Palmer
hunter

Postby ksgoosekilr » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:35 am

I'd go with Bigfoots in a heartbeat. Used to have GHG LS....was tired of slotted bags and heads constantly falling off....plus the BF are lighter.

Here is pics of GHG LS

ksgoosekilr
hunter

Postby Tyrel Palmer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:56 pm

ksgoosekilr, thanks. I like the look of the top two alot more. So deffinately looking for some Bigfoot Floaters, I like the GHG to, but the top two pictures the dekes just look REALLY good! Thanks for the pics!
Mallards 2
Green-Wing Teal 18
Shoveler 2
Scaup (bluebill) 2
Tyrel Palmer
hunter

Postby ksgoosekilr » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:15 pm

Not a prob. Bigfoot are tough as nails. You won't be disappointed. I did like my GHG and both will decoy birds just fine. I just prefer the look and durability of the Foots. They really need to make some sleepers
ksgoosekilr
hunter

Postby pluckinduck » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:26 pm

ive been searching around the website and these bigfoots look awesome! bass pro website has them for sale
pluckinduck
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:57 pm

Bigfoot floaters are the way to go-mine have 4 seasons of hard use on them and are still good as new. It's hard to find a more durable decoy.
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:09 am

http://www.reedssports.com/Category/main.taf?cat=509

Haven't really seen bigfoot floaters for cheaper than this. Usually the 4 pack is around 100. They are a tough decoy no doubt
jscheirer
hunter

Postby Tyrel Palmer » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:19 pm

Biggest problem is Reeds costs a CRAP ton to ship to Alaska. Most of the companies do.
Mallards 2
Green-Wing Teal 18
Shoveler 2
Scaup (bluebill) 2
Tyrel Palmer
hunter

Postby Tyrel Palmer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:50 pm

I'm just going to get something from Sportsmans Warehouse, Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas. They are the only ones with a reasonable shipping rate.

Any experience with the Cabelas Northern Flights or Bass Pro's Redheads?
Mallards 2
Green-Wing Teal 18
Shoveler 2
Scaup (bluebill) 2
Tyrel Palmer
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:39 pm

Tyrel Palmer wrote:Looking to pick up my first set of goose decoys. I want to get floaters since all the geese here seem to be out in the water most of the time, and I hunt the wetland/tideflats anyway in SE Alaska. I've seen Avery Greenhead Gear, Flambeau, Final Approach and even Cabelas brand floaters in mainly 4 packs. what is the best brand for the money. I'm going to be pretty limited since I'm also getting my duck spread sorted out at the same time. So whats the best inexpensive dekes for geese?

Tyrel:
Look into G & H. I have a dozen. Not cheap; but effective.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:19 am

Already said, but BFs all the way. Tough and I think the lightest floater out.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby noweil » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Tyrel Palmer wrote:I'm just going to get something from Sportsmans Warehouse, Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas. They are the only ones with a reasonable shipping rate.

Any experience with the Cabelas Northern Flights or Bass Pro's Redheads?

Big Foots like the others said and I would suggest Rogers Sporting Goods. Fast, friendly, and usually a better shipping rates where I live. Get a case or two of shells while ordering. Most their shells have free shipping, but it may be different for your location.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:03 am

Tyrel Palmer wrote:Looking to pick up my first set of goose decoys. I want to get floaters since all the geese here seem to be out in the water most of the time, and I hunt the wetland/tideflats anyway in SE Alaska. I've seen Avery Greenhead Gear, Flambeau, Final Approach and even Cabelas brand floaters in mainly 4 packs. what is the best brand for the money. I'm going to be pretty limited since I'm also getting my duck spread sorted out at the same time. So whats the best inexpensive dekes for geese?

I run bigfoots, Dakotas and avians and I run them hard. In my opinion...
Looks o the water...... Avians. Bigfoots. Dakotas
How they ride the water..... Dakota. Avians. Bigfoot
Durability.......yes yes and yes
The Dakotas are bulky....the head positions make for Awkward storage in my 6 slot bag.....solution....get the 4 slot avery bag.
Avians are the smaller of the 3 yet the detail is by far the best plus easy easy to store.
Bigfoots.....I find the heads are loose....not like fallin off loose but when I grab the head I can spin it a little loose. Has not been a problem but it stands out to me. I would stay away from ghg....yes they'll kill geese but when I order decoys I wanna know that IF they are scratched upon arrival I can have more shopped yo me at no expense and not a rude email reply saying "sorry bout cha" just my 2 cents. I'm just a dumb redneck from oklahoma though.
sooner737
hunter

Postby Tyrel Palmer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:23 pm

Nothing wrong with dumb rednecks sooner737, I'm right there with you! Thanks guys. I'll probably just wait a little longer and save up for Bigfoots or Avians by season.
I'll have to get them from one of the big guys just to keep shipping reasonable. I think BassPro or Sportsmans had them cheapest with shipping! Thanks guys for the advice
Mallards 2
Green-Wing Teal 18
Shoveler 2
Scaup (bluebill) 2
Tyrel Palmer
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:28 pm

BF floaters are $295 brand new shipped to your door right now! I wouldn't even question of buying them or not.

Also, if you ever get a hunting rig or do have one now, the weight factor will come into play hauling all those goose floaters.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:46 pm

stay away from Bass Pro decoys.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Huntfish12 wrote:stay away from Bass Pro anything.

FIFY
sooner737
hunter

Postby Tyrel Palmer » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:39 am

Really? Ok. Just their brand stuff? Their is one up in Anchorage, it is the closest sporting goods store. But I deffinately wasn't sure about their brand stuff. Thanks guys!
Mallards 2
Green-Wing Teal 18
Shoveler 2
Scaup (bluebill) 2
Tyrel Palmer
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:52 am

Yea, stay away from BPS decoys unless you plan on repainting them soon.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:25 pm

Tyrel Palmer wrote:Really? Ok. Just their brand stuff? Their is one up in Anchorage, it is the closest sporting goods store. But I deffinately wasn't sure about their brand stuff. Thanks guys!

If thats your only option other then shipping then it might not be a bad idea. Shipping to AK is a killer right?
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Tyrel Palmer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:31 pm

Yeah, shipping is pretty bad. I think their is a Sportsmans Warehouse up in Anchorage too. And Sportsmans, Bass Pro and Cabelas aren't awful when it comes to shipping. Everybody else is, but they don't seem to be too bad. I don't think Gander Mountain was as high as the other companies either. Mack's tried to charge me 250 for shipping to up here, and Reeds 200.
Mallards 2
Green-Wing Teal 18
Shoveler 2
Scaup (bluebill) 2
Tyrel Palmer
hunter

Postby D.m.yurkovich » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:37 pm

Fellas,

Bought two different types of Canada Floaters in the past year... Dakota Fully Flocked Decoys (Gander Mountain Special) and some Big Foots.

Short story: 8 Dakotas Decoys Fully Flocked - $100 per box with 4 dekes and a bag to carry em. Would buy again and recommend to a friend. 4 Big Foot Floaters - $94 per box of 4. Also would buy again and recommend to a friend from Dunn's Sporting Good. If I already had bag space I would buy the BFs, but if I had to buy the bag, I would go with the Dakotas. Bought the Rogers 6 slot full body goose decoy bag to carry the BFs.

Long Story:

Dakota Decoys Fully Flocked - Only saw these at Gander Mountain and little to no reviews online, only one single post from Dakota Decoys themselves. I was able to talk the manager of the local Gander Mountain store down to 100 dollars per box. A box consisted of 4 fully flocked dekes and a 4 slot Dakota bag. The decoys are the standard Dakota floater style with the high white under tail area. The bag fits them perfectly and has a padded shoulder strap and one padded side for when its rubbing on your body. The flocking has stayed on them well this past season and I have had to carry them over 800 yards for each hunt. I think out of the 8 that I purchased there was only one that has some flocking missing, about a dime size, where I tried to jam them under my hard tonneau cover.

Big Foots - Like everyone else has said, they are rock solid. The cheapest I found them was at Dunn's Sporting Goods. $94 per 4, currently a featured product on the Dunn's homepage: https://www.shopdunns.com . I looked at all the sites, Roger's, Reed's, Dunn's, Cabela's, Mack's, you name em, I looked. Dunn's was the best, plus they don't charge the ridiculous $15 extra shipping and handling that Cabela's does. From there, I needed a way to carry them in like the Dakotas. I did some research and found a Roger's bag. $31 plus shipping. http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/rogers-sporting-goods-rogers-slot-full-body-goose-decoy-khaki-p-2014.html It fits the 4 Bigfoots very nicely (not too large of slots where its sloppy) in a relatively easy to carry bag, where I can add an iso-mat and a ghillie blanket in the other two slots for hunting on state land.

Hope this helps out.
D.m.yurkovich
Newb

Postby sooner737 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Not calling you a liar....but I can't fathom 4 fully flocked Dakotas with bag for a hundo.
sooner737
hunter

Next

Return to Goose Decoy Forum