What kind of decoys to get?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

What kind of decoys to get?

Postby thaner » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:33 pm

I used to hunt with a couple of guys and we all had decoys and mixed them in and had a good amount. Now I don’t hunt with them anymore, more due to schedules and some moving away. Now I have a new hunting partners that wants to get into goose hunting and I need to get more decoys. I don’t have a ton of $ to spend, but can probably spend maybe $300.00 this year.

I have 14 full bodies, standard size soft ones, not sure on the make as I got them used. I have 12 silos, the black and white kind on plastic that came out before the outlaws.

Space is a little limited; I don’t have a trailer so the dog and all the other stuff needs to fit in the pick-up. I have a couple of places where we can’t drive in the fields.

What should I get for this year? Some shells, what size? More silos? What will give me the most effective over all look? I have checked out all the other chat on mfr. for the different kinds of decoys so I am set there. I am more interested in the look and effectiveness of the over all spread.

I am thinking about making some silos like archeryrob out of that plastic cardboard using my existing ones for a template if time permits.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:42 pm

Bigfeet :thumbsup:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:40 am

:withstupid: and also get GHG fullbodies.....mix up the body styles a lil bit cuz not every goose looks the same.
duckbuster
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:10 am

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:44 pm

I was thinking silos or shells as we set-up and hunt each day and we usually don’t keep them out. Those new standard G&H shells on stakes look almost like full bodies. Does anyone have any of them? Will the stakes hold up?

Should I go quantity or quality? How about standard vs mag shells?

I think some silos give a changing look as the birds move in relations to the spread, but are they as effective as shells or full bodies? Should I have more shells and full bodies and limit the silos or are they just as effective as shells?
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:56 am

Silos and shells for effective space and cost. Put the shells on stakes to make them move in the wind and they stand out better when higher on stakes also.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Goose Decoy Forum