Size of canada goose silos

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Size of canada goose silos

Postby J-Mo720 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:25 pm

I'm making goose silos right now I have one template for a feeder traced that is 25" or so long big enough or should I go bigger?
J-Mo720
hunter

Re: Size of canada goose silos

Postby jscheirer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:51 pm

Honestly it is all up to you. If you make them bigger you can cut less quantity out of whatever piece of material you use and also probably carry less than smaller ones. I have heard of people using just black and white silos for visibility, making alot of smaller highly visible ones. Your choice though!
jscheirer
hunter

Postby coruptone » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:00 pm

That size is the norm. I have some of the real geese original model that looked faded so i shot some paint on them. After there makeover the black still looked faded so i flocked them. What a major difference so the silos im making this year will also have flocked heads and tails.. :thumbsup:
coruptone
hunter

Postby J-Mo720 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:00 pm

Ok thanks guys I looked on Big Al's website after I posted this and saw that's what size those are thanks for the help I'll post them once I'm finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J-Mo720
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:20 am

Make sure they are designed to fit 3 to 4 dozen in your silo bag. Size is not very important, geese can't judge size very well, IMO.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don novicki » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:53 pm

Bigger is better. Easier to hide behind, covers more ground, and can be seen from further away.................... :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:05 am

Actually I do not think bigger is more noticeable. If you are designing them yourself, make the white on the butt larger and they are more noticeable. The white inspires the flocking response in geese and this is the only down side to Real Geese is they do not have the white, bright enough or large enough. Its the same response as making black and white decoys so the white pops out to the geese.

We made groups of decoys with enlarged white areas and regular decoys and looked at them from 500 or more yards and the enlarged white butt decoys are much more noticeable.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Goose Decoy Forum