Foam Floaters?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Foam Floaters?

Postby riverducker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi All! Lots of good info on here about making silos - anybody ever make a floater out of foam board? I see a lot of good examples on the duck decoy form and it looks pretty straight forward. The pink foam board at our local HD and Lowes seems to be replaced by a green board that seems to be really dense. The only goose decoys I have are super-magnum shells, so I am not sure what to use for a pattern. I love to build my own gear and am really looking forward to making some goose dekes. Any help is appreciated!
riverducker
hunter

Re: Foam Floaters?

Postby noweil » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:29 pm

I would take those super mag goose shells and make floaters out of them. It was a pretty common thing years ago. Blackrock has posted a bunch of layout boat hunting pictures on the forums using super mag goose shells set up as floaters.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:18 am

Second that! Why make floaters when you have the ultimate floating goose decoy in your possession already? It's hard to deny the effectiveness of 42" decoys. Ducks and geese see them from a mile away. Literally. Just use 2" pipe foam slitted and zip tied all around the base. We rig em in series of 2 or 3 together for open water. See my posts on layout hunting.
blackrock
hunter

Postby riverducker » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:10 pm

I had not thought of using zip ties and pipe insulation! I was planning on turning the shells into floaters, but only have five and where I hunt there is a good spot to have a few up on the bank. Still poking around for some patterns, but you are absolutely right about the super magnums pulling them in from a mile away. Thanks for the input, I will update on the progress when I have some.
riverducker
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:50 pm

image.jpg
Now you're on the right track boss! Keep me posted......
blackrock
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:08 pm

blackrock wrote:Second that! Why make floaters when you have the ultimate floating goose decoy in your possession already? It's hard to deny the effectiveness of 42" decoys. Ducks and geese see them from a mile away. Literally. Just use 2" pipe foam slitted and zip tied all around the base. We rig em in series of 2 or 3 together for open water. See my posts on layout hunting.

question. When you say 2" are you saying 2" think foam then the whole for the pipe, or 2" thick foam when you smush the two sides (closing the gap for the pipe) together?
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum