SE Alaska Floater vs shore

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

SE Alaska Floater vs shore

Postby Tyrel Palmer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:59 pm

Hey so I'm going to try to pick some goose decoys up before the geese get here. Waterfowl opens in 2 months, Sep 15th, but I'm trying to figure out if I should get floaters or shore dekes.

I will be fishing the tidal flats, here in Southeast Alaska in the Mendenhall Wetlands, near Juneau. What do other people use for these guys? I really REALLY want to get into some geese this year. I was going to get floaters, or make some out of shells, but was just told to use some shells and stands on the shore and not to get floaters. Whats your guys experience/idea? Anybody from SE Alaska would really like your thoughts, but want to hear from everybody
If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot at.

Days hunted 6
Mallards 3
Teal 4
Bufflehead 2
Tyrel Palmer
hunter

Re: SE Alaska Floater vs shore

Postby Tyrel Palmer » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:09 am

What do you guys see here more? Floaters? Shells? Silhouettes?
If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot at.

Days hunted 6
Mallards 3
Teal 4
Bufflehead 2
Tyrel Palmer
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:25 pm

Im not quite sure what the area looks like but, if you are trying to decide between shells or floaters I would go with shells. I would get the biggest ones you can (G&H or carry lites 37"-42" models). Get yourself some good closed celled 3/4"x3/4"x6' pices of pipe foam and zip tie it around the base of the decoys. This will allow you to do both forms of hunting and will increase your visibility. You can check out the thread below for more details.

I wouldn't be worried about what others use, I would focus on big visibility and trying to make a spread that will allow you to hunt multiple situations.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby click » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:32 pm

Honestly I'd say try to pick up some big shells and use foam pipe insulation to turn them into floaters. I spent the last few years hunting up around anchorage so i know it doesn't take a DSD to kill a goose there. If you the shell route you'll save alot on weight and space for those walk in tidal hunts. Plus those things have huge visibility for tidal stuff.
Matt,
Proudly Owned By A CBR Wildwood's Slow Poke Blue Wing Timber
2014-2015 Season Recovery 100%
Days Hunted 10
2013-2014 Season Recovery 89.5%
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Postby Tyrel Palmer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:39 pm

Nelliboy, what link was that? I didn't see a link to a thread.

Thanks guys, that was kind of my thought too, but wanted to know of anybody else who was doing it. I like the idea of the BIG shells, makes a lot of sense.

Days hunted 6
Mallards 3
Teal 4
Bufflehead 2
Tyrel Palmer
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:25 pm

If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Tyrel Palmer » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:45 am

That video on that thread is awesome. I really like the idea of blue board or the pine. I'm sure there is other stuff you can do too.

I'll definitely have to look more into those options.

Days hunted 6
Mallards 3
Teal 4
Bufflehead 2
Tyrel Palmer
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:40 am

Problem with that is you can not stack them.... Become very hard to deal with as a result
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Tyrel Palmer » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:50 pm

Very true. I was thinking about just getting shells, so if I did that to just a couple they'd probably just go in my decoy bag. But we will have to see. I just broke my phone and both my cars are busted so goose decoys may have to wait for next year! :crying: :mad:

Days hunted 6
Mallards 3
Teal 4
Bufflehead 2
Tyrel Palmer
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum