Final Approach Floating Swimmer Decoy

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Final Approach Floating Swimmer Decoy

Postby Charlottefowlhunter » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 pm

Does anyone have any idea what the terms "cord-less" and "cord-lock" keel mean on the Final Approach brand goose decoys? I'm trying to find out specifically about the better quality ones with the flocked heads, not the one piece all plastic ones. Even the people from Final Approach really couldn't give me a straight answer. They said the "cord-less" keel was mainly for pre-rigged anchor lines like rig-em-right but that's all the info they could give. I need to know if they have a through hole in them for tying up decoy line. I can't see why they wouldn't but the term "cord-less" makes me think otherwise. Here's a link to the ones I was looking at on gander mountains site:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... k&i=428811

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Charlottefowlhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:04 am


Re: Final Approach Floating Swimmer Decoy

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:07 pm

I bought 33 this spring, mix of the 3 swimmers and 6 active. No idea on the cordless, keels look the same as any other decoys, hole at front and back of keel to tie line.
Unless they mean the slit at front of keel that you can cinch line into, like greenhead duck decoys have.I've never thought of rigging them on a main line that way, I'd worry about them coming off the line somehow or moving back and forth the main line
Who knows maybe they wouldn't slide and stay on great, might have to try it
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
User avatar
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter
 
Posts: 1028
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 4:17 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Final Approach Floating Swimmer Decoy

Postby Charlottefowlhunter » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:04 am

eastcoastsoxfan wrote:I bought 33 this spring, mix of the 3 swimmers and 6 active. No idea on the cordless, keels look the same as any other decoys, hole at front and back of keel to tie line.
Unless they mean the slit at front of keel that you can cinch line into, like greenhead duck decoys have.I've never thought of rigging them on a main line that way, I'd worry about them coming off the line somehow or moving back and forth the main line
Who knows maybe they wouldn't slide and stay on great, might have to try it


Awesome, thanks a lot.
Charlottefowlhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:04 am

Re: Final Approach Floating Swimmer Decoy

Postby Huntfish12 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:36 am

Charlottefowlhunter wrote:Does anyone have any idea what the terms "cord-less" and "cord-lock" keel mean on the Final Approach brand goose decoys? I'm trying to find out specifically about the better quality ones with the flocked heads, not the one piece all plastic ones. Even the people from Final Approach really couldn't give me a straight answer. They said the "cord-less" keel was mainly for pre-rigged anchor lines like rig-em-right but that's all the info they could give. I need to know if they have a through hole in them for tying up decoy line. I can't see why they wouldn't but the term "cord-less" makes me think otherwise. Here's a link to the ones I was looking at on gander mountains site:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... k&i=428811

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Id spend that money on another brand if I were you. Everything I've owned, and I mean EVERY piece of equiptment from FA has been crap. from decoys and blinds, to gun cases. Spend another 10 or 20 bucks and get some bigfoots or GHG.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Patiently waiting for the weather....

Re: Final Approach Floating Swimmer Decoy

Postby Charlottefowlhunter » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:45 am

Huntfish12 wrote:
Charlottefowlhunter wrote:Does anyone have any idea what the terms "cord-less" and "cord-lock" keel mean on the Final Approach brand goose decoys? I'm trying to find out specifically about the better quality ones with the flocked heads, not the one piece all plastic ones. Even the people from Final Approach really couldn't give me a straight answer. They said the "cord-less" keel was mainly for pre-rigged anchor lines like rig-em-right but that's all the info they could give. I need to know if they have a through hole in them for tying up decoy line. I can't see why they wouldn't but the term "cord-less" makes me think otherwise. Here's a link to the ones I was looking at on gander mountains site:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... k&i=428811

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Id spend that money on another brand if I were you. Everything I've owned, and I mean EVERY piece of equiptment from FA has been crap. from decoys and blinds, to gun cases. Spend another 10 or 20 bucks and get some bigfoots or GHG.


Now that you mention it, it kind of makes sense considering the people from Final Approach couldn't even give me a straight answer on anything haha. I think I am going to get higdon floaters. I own some of their shells and like them a lot.

I was thinking about picking up some field canada goose decoys and was looking at the higdon full body feeder 4 pack or the higdon canada goose wobbler 6 pack. Which one would you pick and why? They're about the same price I just figured the wobblers may yield more motion and would look more realistic if I wanted to use them in shallow water vs. a full body. Any advice is appreciated.
Charlottefowlhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:04 am

Re: Final Approach Floating Swimmer Decoy

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:36 am

I also have some Higdon wobblers and they do look good, I have put them in shallow water or on shore.
FA is probably not the best choice for floaters, only reason I got FA is because I live in the armpit of the world and there aren't many options for decoys and prices here are ridiculous! Bigfoots work out to be around $46 a decoy up here, not including gas to drive and get them.
The only issue that I see with FA is the paint on some of them isn't cured that well, I put a flat clear coat on them and it's toughened them up.
Higdon floaters would be a good option for sure.
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
User avatar
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter
 
Posts: 1028
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 4:17 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Final Approach Floating Swimmer Decoy

Postby Charlottefowlhunter » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:50 am

eastcoastsoxfan wrote:I also have some Higdon wobblers and they do look good, I have put them in shallow water or on shore.
FA is probably not the best choice for floaters, only reason I got FA is because I live in the armpit of the world and there aren't many options for decoys and prices here are ridiculous! Bigfoots work out to be around $46 a decoy up here, not including gas to drive and get them.
The only issue that I see with FA is the paint on some of them isn't cured that well, I put a flat clear coat on them and it's toughened them up.
Higdon floaters would be a good option for sure.


Cool deal, thanks for the info.

I'm assuming the heads on the floaters and the wobblers would interchange with the six higdon shells I already have? That's just what I figured since they're all from the same brand.
Charlottefowlhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:04 am

Re: Final Approach Floating Swimmer Decoy

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:46 am

I'd hope they'd interchange but I'd call them to be sure.
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
User avatar
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter
 
Posts: 1028
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 4:17 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Final Approach Floating Swimmer Decoy

Postby Team216 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:56 pm

Go with higdon, not bashing on FA, because I use those too. FA isn't bad, they look nice out of the box and have nice detail for the price. But like eastcoast said. The paint isn't the best. I haven't hunted over the higdons yet. But they are durable. The first thing I did when I opened the box was tossed one in the boat from about 15 yards. It had a scuff. I think because the paint on the boat is like sandpaper. They are tough decoys. Mack's prarie wings has them on sale for 79.99 for 4 in the standard size. If I'm too late and you got the FA's just paint the tails. That's really the only issues I've had with them
Team216
hunter
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:06 am


Return to Goose Decoy Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests