Goose shells to floaters

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Re: Goose shells to floaters

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:30 am

blackrock wrote:Looking good Nelli! I'll post a picture of my pipe foam with a ruler tomorrow to show you what I use. We bought some more shells too, G&H and we're up to 6 dozen. Can't even haul that many with the layout on the tender!

I see you have pulled ahead of me!!!! I'll have to get back on the stick and pick up at least 3 doz more hahahah. I am a weeee bit concerned with how many I can haul, worse case iiI have my buddy run a second boat....but we will get there! I'm getting pretty excited! One question for you. Do you use more weight to hold these shells than a standard floater?
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight with no vision- Helen Keller
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby erp10 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:06 am

Do you guys run these on long lines or singles? I love the idea. Thanks!
erp10
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:22 am

I have not tried long lines yet. We are going to run one decoy with a weight. Tie the next decoy onto the tail of the first with 8' or so of line. I plan on running series of 2-4 decoys per weight. (I am afraid to drag them into place on longs is my reasoning.)
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight with no vision- Helen Keller
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:33 am

waterfowlchaser123 wrote:Nelli I'm not understanding what you said the problem that you could see in the pipe foam method was? But here's the link to the foam I found http://m.lowes.com/pd_24434-1410-P12XB/ ... Id=3133247

I called lowes on this product. They said it is made to fit 1" of pipe. They said it's around 5/8" thick foam. (May work on your little shells but I would get the 3/4" ID version myself as it will not hold as much water when you pick the shells up).
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:Image

Looks good. DOn't be afraid to spread the big decoys out more and fill in with floaters. You can make 3 or 4 dozen look like a huge flock on the water. Leave a tail close to you and swing out a landing path right through the midddle of the floaters. The geese will hook and fly right up the cut and land in the trough. Also, place a pair of the prettiest mallards in the open by the path. That is where the mallards will land :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby waterfowlchaser123 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:18 pm

I can't wait to try it!!! All my buddy's think it's a not very good idea but well just have to see how it plays out!
waterfowlchaser123
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:36 pm

Website says buy 2 get 15% off.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby teal12 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:16 am

When you guys take these decoys back to the field for a hunt do you leave the foam on or remove it?
teal12
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:03 pm

I've got more than 80 now so I left 2 dozen without foam, just for fields. When I need a big field spread I'll just use the foam ones too, in with Bigfoots. I don't think it will matter.
blackrock
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:22 am

I got a hunch Blackrock is going to be hunting 747s with flocked heads and tails too!

I have about 15 Carry lite goose shells (I think) like the stack on Nelliboys floor, only with flocked heads and tails that I may foam up for Snake river hunts.
Been thinking on it after talking to Blackrock.
Especially if they can double in stubble fields. Don't know why they couldn't?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:42 am

My son prefers the Carrylites to the G&H. They will all still work well in fields, just don't stack quite as well......
blackrock
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:30 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:
waterfowlchaser123 wrote:Nelli I'm not understanding what you said the problem that you could see in the pipe foam method was? But here's the link to the foam I found http://m.lowes.com/pd_24434-1410-P12XB/ ... Id=3133247

I called lowes on this product. They said it is made to fit 1" of pipe. They said it's around 5/8" thick foam. (May work on your little shells but I would get the 3/4" ID version myself as it will not hold as much water when you pick the shells up).

I use 1/2" armorflex(pipe foam) it seems to fit around the decoys better. Also WalMArt sells this stuff. Sounds like yall are having a hard time finding it. Any small town hardware store sells it too. Anytime you are talking about pipe foam the size is referring to the inside diameter(the size of pipe that it will fit around). :thumbsup:
kcwellington
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:26 pm

kcwellington wrote:
Nelliboy2 wrote:

I use 1/2" armorflex(pipe foam) it seems to fit around the decoys better. Also WalMArt sells this stuff. Sounds like yall are having a hard time finding it. Any small town hardware store sells it too. Anytime you are talking about pipe foam the size is referring to the inside diameter(the size of pipe that it will fit around). :thumbsup:

Any good plumbing supply shop should have it as well, but it will probably be more expensive from them.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby ALLSTAR1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:13 pm

I hunted over 3 dozen for years. Eventually the stuff will crumble and tear away but I made a mistake and glued it to the shells. Do not do that. Use zip ties as suggested and use plenty. It is an economical way to go but regular floaters are better in the long run if you can afford them. The shells will stack somewhat and are lighter of course, so both have there pluses.
ALLSTAR1
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:20 am

ALLSTAR1 wrote:I hunted over 3 dozen for years. Eventually the stuff will crumble and tear away but I made a mistake and glued it to the shells. Do not do that. Use zip ties as suggested and use plenty. It is an economical way to go but regular floaters are better in the long run if you can afford them. The shells will stack somewhat and are lighter of course, so both have there pluses.

The reason I use them has nothing to do with economy. I have 30 plus dozen decoys and can hunt over whatever I choose. New these decoys are about $400 a dozen, so they are not really inexpensive. They are however 36 to 42" long and 2-3' tall. This means super visibility on open water. If you are hunting on Joe's farm pond, you probably don't need them......
blackrock
hunter

Postby redheaded » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:52 am

Great ideas here, my question is in regard to the stackablility, does the foam prevent them from stacking?
redheaded
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:18 am

redheaded wrote:Great ideas here, my question is in regard to the stackablility, does the foam prevent them from stacking?

Nope they still stack, obviously not as tightly though
blackrock
hunter

Postby boder » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:12 pm

blackrock wrote:
redheaded wrote:Great ideas here, my question is in regard to the stackablility, does the foam prevent them from stacking?

Nope they still stack, obviously not as tightly though

Would u mind posting some pics of your decoys stacked and also on the water?
boder
hunter

Postby thephishh » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:22 pm

Got me thinking about selling the floaters I just bought and going this route. The dozen floaters I have take up lot of space in the boat where shells wouldn't
thephishh
Newb

Postby waterfowlchaser123 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:29 am

How is the best way to attach the lines to the decoys? I'm gona use longlines for them probably
waterfowlchaser123
hunter

Previous

Return to Goose Decoy Forum