Flambeau field and water decoy

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Flambeau field and water decoy

Postby Rick.B » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:28 pm

Hey all, I just bought some decoys and from what I can tell the goose decoys are the flambeau field/water.

My questions are: are these anygood, and how do you attach weight cord to them?

Any and all input is helpful, thanks!!
Rick.B
hunter

Re: Flambeau field and water decoy

Postby Honk-n-quack » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:49 pm

I have 17 of them. They move with hardly any wind due to having no keel. There are usually attachment points on the sides or under the head.
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:20 am

If there isn't a tab at the very front, probably just screw a small eye bolt in the bottom of the head.

PS, if you can get away with it, use Texas rigged weights. Trying to wrap the line without a keel is a huge pain.

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:28 am

Are you talking this Flambeau Field or Water decoy? If so yes they are good. I bought mine back in the mid 80's and they are still holding up. I got tired of dealing with the heads loose and falling off so I ordered 20 various position Bigfoot heads and attached them with toggle eye bolts and 2 inch fender washers so the heads stay on. I used a 1 1/4" hole saw drill bit to cut a hole in the base of the decoy head and used 5/16" toggle eyebolts in 4 or 5 inch length. If you order the Bigfoot floater heads you won't have to cut a hole but will need to use 3/8" toggle eyebolts to mount them. I flocked the original heads that came with the decoys and sawed the lower knob off so I could also mount the original heads with toggle bolts . When it comes time to re-flock I can just unscrew the eyebolt and the toggle wing nut will fall right out of the head so it can be re-used. I have them Texas rigged on 400# mono. These decoys work awesome especially on jerk cords. I recently bought 9 more off Craigslist for $40. I put 2 up in original condition so it leaves me with 34 to use. I buy everyone I can find. If you hunt water too deep for Texas rig you can attach 2' drops to them with snaps on the end and long line them. They ride rough water well since the bottom sucks them to the surface of the water. IMO they are the best goose floater Flambeau ever made. :thumbsup: :yes:

Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby Rick.B » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:40 am

DuckinFool wrote:Are you talking this Flambeau Field or Water decoy? If so yes they are good. I bought mine back in the mid 80's and they are still holding up. I got tired of dealing with the heads loose and falling off so I ordered 20 various position Bigfoot heads and attached them with toggle eye bolts and 2 inch fender washers so the heads stay on. I used a 1 1/4" hole saw drill bit to cut a hole in the base of the decoy head and used 5/16" toggle eyebolts in 4 or 5 inch length. If you order the Bigfoot floater heads you won't have to cut a hole but will need to use 3/8" toggle eyebolts to mount them. I flocked the original heads that came with the decoys and sawed the lower knob off so I could also mount the original heads with toggle bolts . When it comes time to re-flock I can just unscrew the eyebolt and the toggle wing nut will fall right out of the head so it can be re-used. I have them Texas rigged on 400# mono. These decoys work awesome especially on jerk cords. I recently bought 9 more off Craigslist for $40. I put 2 up in original condition so it leaves me with 34 to use. I buy everyone I can find. If you hunt water too deep for Texas rig you can attach 2' drops to them with snaps on the end and long line them. They ride rough water well since the bottom sucks them to the surface of the water. IMO they are the best goose floater Flambeau ever made. :thumbsup: :yes:

Yes, these are the ones I have. I bought a bunch of decoys and there were 8 of these, I don't have any floaters so it helps. I think i'm going to buy some heads like you said and mix it up a bit.
Rick.B
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:25 am

I wrap the line around the decoy just behind the head and use keel grabbers on the head
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum