Small spread question

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Small spread question

Postby Drivetacks » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:02 am

This will be my first year with my own decoys, I will still hunt with my buddies and their dekes but my schedule doesn't always work with theirs so I've started to buy some my self. Currently I have 2 dozen big Al's which might be enough to kill a few birds early but obviously not so well late.

I'm looking to invest another $200 before the season starts. So my question is should I just grab 2 dozen more Al's or should I invest in a half dozen quality full bodies. I like the avians, have hunted over the AXF's but I would buy painted. And I'm really liking what I hear about the DOA's. I would consider them if I buy full bodies as well.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Drivetacks on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drivetacks
hunter

Re: Small spread question

Postby Qback5 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:05 am

I'm in the same boat so will look forward to what others have to say! I really like Big Al's silo's!!! I have 4 floaters that I'm going to rig for field set-ups to give some dimension to my spread right around the landing zone. They make a product for this but I'm fabricating a small rig for this.

Great question - will look forward to seeing what others have to say!
Qback5
hunter

Postby Drivetacks » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:03 pm

i know some guys that use floaters in the field will bring a hammer and use the claws to dig out a groove for the keel to sit in and just set the block like a shell. I thought of going this route so i could add some geese to my duck spread after reading all of the stuff on goose decoys being the best duck decoy, but I would rather commit money to the right decoy for the field first.
Drivetacks
hunter

Postby Drivetacks » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:32 pm

nothing?
Drivetacks
hunter

Postby Manitoba outdoors » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:42 pm

If I was you I would go for full bodies, don't get me wrong big als are great but full bodies "stand out" a bit more. I personally run a 5 dozen shell spread and it works great! I've been wanting to get some full bodies but they're pretty expensive for me right now haha
Manitoba outdoors
hunter

Postby UpstateHonker11 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:00 pm

I'd look into getting yourself some shells. When first starting out back in highschool me and my buddy shot plenty of geese over shells and continue too. Full body's are nice but not the deal breaker between a good shoot and a great shoot. A good shoot or a great shoot is dependent on your scouting. Higdon and GHG both make affordable shells that you could mount on stakes to give the full body appeal.
UpstateHonker11
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:27 pm

UpstateHonker11 wrote:I'd look into getting yourself some shells. When first starting out back in highschool me and my buddy shot plenty of geese over shells and continue too. Full body's are nice but not the deal breaker between a good shoot and a great shoot. A good shoot or a great shoot is dependent on your scouting. Higdon and GHG both make affordable shells that you could mount on stakes to give the full body appeal.

This. I shot a lot of geese over G&H supermag shells and Outlaw silhouettes. This was before I ever had any Bigfoots. We still use them both in our spread. I love having at least some big shells to hide gear and decoy bags under. You could probably pick up a lot more used shells and or silhouettes for your money, rather than 6 full bodies. Get a flag, be where they want to be, and hide well, whatever your technique. Staying still until the shot and hiding your face is more important than the type or brand of decoys!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Drivetacks » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:38 pm

thanks guys, ive been avoiding shells mostly because i dont have experience hunting over them. They probably are my best bet at this point...
Drivetacks
hunter

Postby Team216 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:15 pm

Another good reason for using shells is motion. Get some Avery universal motion stakes. ( I only say Avery because that's all ive ever seen) Or make your own. Full bodies are great for the landing zone. But a shell on a motion stake beats a lifeless full body any day in my book.
Team216
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:41 pm

A lot of times during the early season when birds tend to spread out in a field I will put my shells 50-60 yards downrange of my FBs to block birds from using that area but sometimes it backfires and I get more birds in the shells than in the FBs.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby TJP » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:01 pm

I bought 3 doz Redhead shells with assorted flocked heads on sale last year for about $200. I also have a couple dozen floaters with removable keels that double as shells in the field. Looks like Bass Pro has a sale going on the redhead goose full bodies and shells. Shells are going $70/dozen right now. They are a good deal monetarily, but the color is a little light IMO.
TJP
hunter

Postby coruptone » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:30 am

look for shells for sale in your area in the classified's. A doz full bodies, doz shells and 2 doz silos or more . Having close to this setup you have more options for field setups. Hunting over water you can get by with 6 floaters , plus yo can make your shells float on water. I haven't got my hands on any DOA decoys so i dont know how they look up close.
coruptone
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:05 pm

used will be the most affordable. Silos will do just fine. I would hunt over a full silo rig anyday. FB's are not necessary. with proper scouting, a good hide, decoy placement, flagging, and calling, you have just as good a chance as the guy in the next field over.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Drivetacks » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:00 am

Any high wind silo experience? We hunted 40mph gusts Thursday with full bodies and only a couple of the lighter hardcores fell over once or twice. Avians and anything in stakes were fine. I silos still look fairly natural in heavy gusts?
Drivetacks
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum