Adding Silhouettes to My Spread

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Adding Silhouettes to My Spread

Postby BigTerp » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:06 am

My wife ran across a dozen goose silhouettes at a yard sale this summer. Guy gave them to her for $1. Can't remember the brand of the top of my head, but they are your standard goose silhouettes and they look like they've never been used. Planning on adding them to my spread this year, but have never used silhouettes before. We hunt for ducks and geese off of islands in our local river. We use all floater decoys. Figured we could set the silhouettes up in the really shallow areas and along the banks of the island? What do you guys think is the best way to utilize these silhouettes with the way we hunt?

I also picked up a goose flag. Even though we mostly hunt rivers, I figured it would help get the attention of high flying and far off ducks/geese. I've used goose flags while field hunting, but never on the river. Think it will help on the river?
BigTerp
hunter

Re: Adding Silhouettes to My Spread

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:24 am

they work. several guys hunt over them
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:31 am

IMO, silhouettes are the most under utilized style of decoy these days. They cost a fraction of the money and take up a fraction of the space.

You can't beat the image quality, and I think they give the illusion of moving birds as the angle changes. If nothing else I use them to have something different than everyone else and occasionally mix them with full bodies.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby blackrock » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:08 am

image.jpg
Stick em in the water or mud. Probably best mixed with a few floaters, but I have used them alone. Flags help too. We flagged these honks and shot them all at close range over water!
blackrock
hunter

Postby BigTerp » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've been wanting to up my goose decoy numbers but with a 16' boat there is only so much I can haul. These silouhettes are easy to store and lightweight we shouldn't even notice they are on the boat.

These are the ones I have, BTW. Edge by Expedite.

BigTerp
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum