Bigfoot ?s

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Bigfoot ?s

Postby goosebuster11 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:40 pm

Hey guys, about to start flocking my big foots and have a few questions. 1) is it worth flocking the tail?(or just the head)
2) how beat up do you let the bodies of your big foots get before you touch them up?

Thanks for any input!
goosebuster11
hunter

Re: Bigfoot ?s

Postby noweil » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:34 pm

1. I was going to put flockeed heads on my Big Foot field decoys. Then I thought about all the geese killed with the unflocked heads and so I just keep hunting them unflocked and they still work.

2. I have VF's from the 80's that still don't need touch up. The only 2 that need paint were used a lawn ornaments for years. I don't bag them and the have held up great for years. Just pile them in the back of the truck. If I stand back and look at my decoys, I can't see the small scrapes.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:33 am

If the birds are close enough to see the imperfections on the decoys you should be shooting. It may not be necessary but the flocking does seem to make the decoys "pop" in certain lighting conditions. I did flock the tails on mine. The flocking doesn't have to be perfect either. I try to touch mine up every so often but I never do a full strip down like some guys do. I just touch up the bare spots.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:17 pm

Once you go flocked honker heads you ain't ever going back to shiny gray. :thumbsup:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby goosebuster11 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:04 pm

Thanks for the input guys! From what you said, I stood back and realized I was over anylizing the imperfections on the bodies. They are fine. I have decided not to do the tails at least for now, but flocked the heads on my 2doz big foots and am very happy with the results!! For the hunting I do (minimal dekes, smaller fields, can't drive in most fields) I bag my dekes just for carrying purposes, so they are protected when transporting. For this reason I think the flocking is worth the effort because it should hold up ok. Here are some pictures. The flocking will really pop in the field and you are right DuckinFool, I won't ever go back!

Now time to paint the cheek patches!
Attachments
image.jpg
All dekes
image.jpg
After flocking
image.jpg
Before flocking
goosebuster11
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:17 am

FWIW I have been picking up extra heads when I can get them cheap. I then keep a rotation going pulling the ones that need touchup and re-flocking when I have time.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum