Using lesser decoys for large geese

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Using lesser decoys for large geese

Postby marsh_man » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:47 am

Does it matter? Where I hunt we have very few lesser's in our area but to save money I was looking at adding a few dozen lesser decoys to our spread this year. Any opinions on this? Just looking to add more decoys to the spread and also save a little money on fullbodies.
marsh_man
hunter

Re: Using lesser decoys for large geese

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:51 am

Does not matter. What matters is calling, location, and concealment. If my grandpa can land a flock of geese with painted tires for decoys, lessers will work for greaters.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:31 pm

We hunt residents only and they will land with little decoys. They land with those 2D decoys too, can you believe it? :yes:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:52 pm

In the fall you will find birds of all sizes in a flock. Adding lesser to your existing decoys will just look like juvies amongst the flock.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby marsh_man » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:12 pm

Hey guys thanks for all of the responses. I didn't really think it would matter but just wanted some input. Can anyone tell me how much smaller a lesser decoy is compared to a greater decoy? Just curious to find out.
marsh_man
hunter

Postby QuackWhacker65 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:03 pm

marsh_man wrote:Hey guys thanks for all of the responses. I didn't really think it would matter but just wanted some input. Can anyone tell me how much smaller a lesser decoy is compared to a greater decoy? Just curious to find out.

It kind of varies from brand to brand
QuackWhacker65
hunter

Postby marsh_man » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:31 am

I was kinda looking at Tim Newbolds decoys...any experience with them? They seem decently priced. Or I was looking at Tanglefree lesser decoys as well...
marsh_man
hunter

Postby mnwaterfowler98 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:39 pm

Tangle free are not that small, the Tim Newbolds however are not much bigger than their oversized mallards but look frickin sweet. On sale online at Rogers right now

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
mnwaterfowler98
hunter

Postby gooshnr » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:35 pm

The flocked Newbold lessers are a very nice looking decoy but they are much smaller than the original GHG lessers. The only reason I haven't sold all my original lessers and gone with the Newbolds is because they are so small. I have several places I hunt where they would hardly be visible in the stubble.
gooshnr
hunter

Postby mojo coot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Im thinking of getting rid of all my bigfoot originals and going all lessers we havehardly any lessers here in utah
mojo coot
hunter

Postby UpstateHonker11 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:55 pm

Hunt giants with lessers all the time and shoot limits.
UpstateHonker11
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:30 pm

I see no advantage to small decoys unless you have to pack them on your back a long ways. Water or land, bigger decoys=more visible.
blackrock
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum