Stubbling blinds

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Stubbling blinds

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:50 pm

Hey guys, our season for early geese opens this Saturday and we've got a field with roughly 90 birds in it. The limit for each hunter is 15! Anyways the field is a alfalfa field and the cover is about 3 inches tall. It's a mix of mostly golden with some winter wheat in it. The nice this about it is that the field is tiny only about 30 yards wide and it is like 60 yards long. It runs north/south with a fence on the east and west sides. Wind is out of the south. One fence is next to the road with no cover on it cause the farmer cut the ditch grass recently and the other side backs up to a standing corn field. Only problem is the other farmer with the corn won't let us his on his land behind the fence! What is the best way to hide? Do we use magnum shells, put layouts against the fence and brush them in well or what? Thanks
Carter Klatt

As you get older, and hunting time is more available to you, it can get easy to go back to a honey hole too often. Next thing you know, it's not so much honey and more of a hole.
SDduckhunter23
hunter

Re: Stubbling blinds

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:17 pm

I'd still favor the corn side. The geese probably won't notice the difference if there is a "bump" in the straight line of the corn field. If you could get your hands on some corn stalks all the better..........
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:29 pm

We do have a garden full of sweet corn so we might take some of those stalks and make a blind out of that
Carter Klatt

As you get older, and hunting time is more available to you, it can get easy to go back to a honey hole too often. Next thing you know, it's not so much honey and more of a hole.
SDduckhunter23
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:10 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:I'd still favor the corn side. The geese probably won't notice the difference if there is a "bump" in the straight line of the corn field. If you could get your hands on some corn stalks all the better..........

Yep, try this
blackrock
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:21 am

Another thing I do around here is that many of our fields have clumps of weeds here and there. Sometimes I will just stubble the blind with weeds so it just looks like another weed patch. Seems to work...........
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby mnwaterfowler98 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:33 pm

A idea would be to get some corn stalks from somewhere else and make a sort of half rectangular blind that you could sit on pails in and put it right along the corn. It would blend right in

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
mnwaterfowler98
hunter

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:58 pm

I wish we could mnwaterfowler but we already talked to the adjacent land owner and he won't let us cross the fence to the corn!
Carter Klatt

SDduckhunter23
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:58 pm

As long as there is corn in the general vicinity I think you can get by with a cornstalk blind.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:45 pm

Even if it hasn't been cut yet?
Carter Klatt

SDduckhunter23
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Build your blind on "your" side of the fence adjacent to the corn field. Use the fence for the back of your blind. As mentioned go obtain some green corn stalks to brush your blind in. I would make a thin blind, just enough room to sit in, so it just looks like an uneven fence line along the standing corn. I'm sure it will work fine opening day and early season. Try not to drop any birds on the other guys land.......alternately two or three "individual" blinds a few yards apart. It's easier to build a small blind to hide one hunter than several. Just a few shocks of corn ziptied to hog wire in a semi circle could hide one guy. Let us know how it goes!
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:26 pm

image.jpg
Just make this with corn instead of tumbleweeds. I use woven wire fence with the 2x4 inch weave. Pound a couple pieces of black conduit in to hold it up, and ziptie the corn stalks on. You could ziptie one side to the barb wire, leave one side mobile for exit. You can bend it in to a rectangle, horse shoe or whatever shape fits the days spot. Then when it's time to leave you just roll it up with a bungee and sling it over your shoulder. Light, fast, cheap! Some guys put a little mesh camo layer in the inside. I just get low and hold really still until it's too late. Boom.
blackrock
hunter

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:39 am

That looks sweet blackrock! We plan to brush the blinds up very well against the fence and make a pike of wheat/alfalfa around them to brush them in also. It's nice cause it's only my friend and me and he has a power hunter and I've got a ground force! We are also bringing some brushed chocked wire that we could use a a blanket of some kind or make a blind like black rock did. We art bringing a couple giant shells also and we could always hide under those if it comes down to it! Hopefully we can lay a pounding on them! Ill post up some pictures!
Carter Klatt

SDduckhunter23
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:55 am

I can't begin to tell you how many geese I have shot just laying among G&H Supermag shells with my head and shoulders propped up on one, usually some Bigfoots right there to break me up as well. Never had a ghillie suit, but I can see it working great in some conditions. I've got some really nice layout blinds, but seem to seldom use them, I have a hell of a time seeing out of it, and in short cover they sure seem to be noticed by the geese, big rectangle looks out of place. Probably work if well camouflaged for the early hunt though! Have a great hunt......
blackrock
hunter

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:39 pm

Here is the plan. Set up on the west side with layouts and using 3.5 doz avianx and ghg honker full bodies. We have recieved a lot of rain this week and the stubble is joe about 5 inches talk and all green alfalfa making our hide super easy! We are using killer weed alfalfa from Avery along with natural vegitation. It is supposed to be rainy/overcast tomorrow morning allowing us to hunt the west side since we owns see the sun! Should turn out perfectly
Carter Klatt

SDduckhunter23
hunter

Stubbling blinds

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:51 pm

It turned out great for hiding the blinds, not such a great hunt. The farmer gave permission to three groups including me. Because they were other groups I went out to the field and I camped out in the car to make sure I was the first one there. I was all set up and ready to roll at 3 AM. Around five another truck pulled in to the north section of the field and began setting up. I went up to them and kindly asked them to move and they refused so I asked them if I could hunt with them so we wouldn't ruin each other's hunt, they still refused. I told them that the farmer had said that the first one to the field gets it, they said too bad we're hunting here so a nice way to put it would be they were being jerks. Anyways the geese came in and tried to skirt around there spread to come to mine because I was on the X. Only problem with that was they began pass shooting at the geese coming to my spread so that I wouldn't get a chance to shoot. Luckily since they were early-season and I was in the right spot I did get a few groups to commit and I ended up with 10 of the 15 bird limit. Thank you everyone for the advice and the stubbling, it worked great had no problems with the hide at all!
Last edited by SDduckhunter23 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carter Klatt

SDduckhunter23
hunter

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:52 pm

Carter Klatt

SDduckhunter23
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:12 pm

SDduckhunter23 wrote:It turned out great for hiding the blinds, not such a great hunt. The farmer gave permission to three groups including me. Because they were other groups I went out to the field and I camped out in the car to make sure I was the first one there. I was all set up and ready to roll at 3 AM. Around five another truck pulled in to the north section of the field and began setting up. I went up to them and kindly asked them to move and they refused so I asked them if I could hunt with them so we wouldn't ruin each other's hunt, they still refused. I told them that the farmer had said that the first one to the field gets it, they said too bad we're hunting here so a nice way to put it would be they were being jerks. Anyways the geese came in and tried to skirt around there spread to come to mine because I was on the X. Only problem with that was they began pass shooting at the geese coming to my spread so that I wouldn't get a chance to shoot. Luckily since they were early-season and I was in the right spot I did get a few groups to commit and I ended up with 10 of the 15 bird limit. Thank you everyone for the advice and the stubbling, it worked great had no problems with the hide at all!

Shoot the tires! Glad it worked out for you, and you didnt back down!
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:58 pm

[/quote]
Shoot the tires! Glad it worked out for you, and you didnt back down![/quote]

Yes, it turned out to be a decent hunt. I even doubled on birds that they had winged that were coming by. One was 30 the other was about 40-45! I didn't want to take that long shot on a passing bird but it was already injured and needed to come down! It was definitely one to remember!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carter Klatt

SDduckhunter23
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum