how many decoys do i need

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

how many decoys do i need

Postby texasduckblaster » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:16 pm

In the area i hunt ducks there are also large amounts of both snow geese and canadian geese. How many decoys and how many of any spacific species do i need for about a 40 ancre been field. And what brand to guys recomend for a beginer goose hunter.
texasduckblaster
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:23 pm

There are alot of variables in how many and what kind. For snows you are gonna need alot of decoys (several hundred). For canadas a few dozen will suffice here, but maybe not there.

For snows, you can get Texas Rags and make them into windsocks, but I suggest economy Northwinds. The rags get beat up really bad, really quick.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby the_duckinator » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:38 am

Last year I found a field to hunt on one of the last days of the season. I thew out my 5 goose floaters and was calling them in :getdown: I just got a dozen G&H shells and 3 flambeau fb's and will be getting another dozen GHG shells. The G&H shells don't look too bad, but the heads are hard to get in and out. I'd go with GHG, I think they look the best for the price.
49% of us didn't vote for him.

Sorry World (we tried)--half of America

3 nations under Bush's God.
the_duckinator
hunter

Postby texan68 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:17 am

yer looking at several hundred....those snows like numbers here in texas....the most reasonable way to do that would to go with texas rags.....we usually put out 1500 and we use EVERY one. Then for dark geese, we put out about 500. A lot of guys say the rags rip and tear to easily.....IT DOES NOT MATTER.....when using that many decoys, a few ripped here and there is not a big deal.
texan68
hunter

Postby doane25 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:49 pm

setting up and taking down 500 dekes is some work! my hat is off to you guys.

you get what you pay for. we run all big foots (around 140)i would rather have 6 big foots, than 3 dozen shells. just my 2 cents though
doane25
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:22 pm

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby texasduckblaster » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:30 pm

i cant afford much i dont have a job so it cant be more than say, $70
i know its not alot but i need money to buy duck gear also.
this is only for canadians cause im gonna get some rags for the snows which is what is mainly around, and there arn't to many, just about a hundred geese or so, and they all fly at the same time for about a 10-20 minute period.
texasduckblaster
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum