String o wings

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

String o wings

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:57 am

Anybody using string o wings? Hunted over some homeade ones last year and was wondering what you thought about the ones they sell at Cabelas. They are one sale at 24.99 for 1 and I will maybe buy 2? Do they help your spread?
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:42 am

I have some snow goose ones and I was thinking they would work great for hunting them cause it would give lots of motion to the spread, but I as warning you know don't take them out one a windy day. I did and they got all tangled up.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:36 pm

I really have major reservations about them on how effective they really are. My suspicion is they would flair off more birds than bring in birds in close over the decoys. Maybe someone with extensive experience with htem will chime in. I never have seen veteran well estabished hunters using them, and my thinking is they are a boogus product that really does not work. Anybody want to defend them? I would love to be proven wrong. :umm:

I use wind socks for the movement. :thumbsup:
Last edited by h2ofwlr on Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:19 am

I have never had any luck with them. They are a pain in the butt to put up in the wind not to mention the noise that annoys you all day.

String O Wing

Postby Xtrema Hunter » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:25 am

They may get more geese to look your way, but I think once they get close enough to see what is going on they will flare. If you want to add motion to your spread use flags when the geese are more than 200 yards away, and I would recommend the Decoy Dancer for Big Foots.
IF IT FLYS IT DIES
Xtrema Hunter
hunter

Postby marty » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:47 am

I hunted them in Wisconsin but have not got a chace to use them in ND at college here. It worked so so in WI, the geese sure take a look. However, they dont decoys with the string o wings out. They tend to stick high no matter where you sit or where u place the string o wings. It's awesome, if you like sky busting, and have a 10 ga. with a lot of ammo. I would only use them in days where the geese need an extra visual.
NOTE: I did try to turn it into a huge flag decoy line with a friend. We each took a side and when the geese started looking we dropped them slowly like a flag and pole deal. That worked with decent sucess.
marty
Newb

Postby Cobra » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:03 pm

Tried them, they were curious, but it scared the living daylights out of the geese inside 200 yds. Took it down and they came straight in.
Cobra
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:04 pm

haha cobra answered my thoughts. I don't think I will be getting any...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Cobra » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:17 pm

98ramtough, have them strung out between the garage and a tree now, drives the crows nuts. ~~ The Duck ones are even worse in the field.
Cobra
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum