Flocking Heads?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Flocking Heads?

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:51 pm

I just got some flocking for my heads today. I was wondering how many of you flock them and what do you use to attach the flocking. We bought a kit on ebay, and they said it would be cheaper to buy it (adhesive) at a hardware store at home, then ship it to us. Heard about using flat black rustoleum laid on real thick. Then they mist the head with a little semi gloss krylon to make it alot more durable. What do you guys use?
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Chris_Hustad » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:02 pm

No adhesive came with the kit???

I use the Hammer Time flocking, and I may be a bit biased because I sell it. :oops: But since I do use it I'll be honest. Flocking is all about the labor of love and if you take goose hunting seriously you'll enjoy the results. Kind of like the hardcore duck hunters who like to carve their own decoys. The kit I used had a primer that you put on first...than you paint the adhesive over the primer. Adhesive generally doesn't stick to plastic very well and is why the more you sand/grind it down the better it works.

If you want to help protect the flocking use black socks to put over them while in transport to help keep the "owies" away.
Chris_Hustad
Site Admin

flocking heads

Postby Xtrema Hunter » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:03 pm

I bought a 1lb bag of flocking off of ebay and I used the rustoleum oil based flat black paint to attach the flocking to the heads. It worked great!!! I would recommend roughing the heads up with some sand paper before applying the paint.

I also bought a small can of rustoleum oil based flat white paint to go over the cheek patches after the flocking has dried. This is a real contrast to the dark heads and there is no glare like there is on factory big foot heads. They rely look good.
:thumbsup:
IF IT FLYS IT DIES
Xtrema Hunter
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum