Duck Hunting Forum banner

Suggestion for potential hunt swappers

10K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  GAswampHunt 
#1 ·
Swapping hunts is a great way for everyone to not only get to hunt something new and exciting but also the same for the other party. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words so any pictures that can help illustrate what type of hunt or results you can offer would be best for everyone involved.

Thanks,

Eric

#2 ·
Eric,

I've tried a few swaps (14) and found most of them to be disappointments (8). A few turned into long-term friendships (2), one was as described (1), and a few swaps had to be cancelled (3).

I have 2 long time hunting buddies after offering my experience in a hunting area back in 1999. One guy traded a deer hunt for a Hybrid boat - I shot a 4 pt...we hunted twice more after that. Some good swaps were cancelled by myself or others due to timing problems.

Most come down to people offering stuff they don't have or can not do - photos would be a perfect requirement.

Then there is the odd person who defies common decency and does some weird stuff. I learned a lot thru that one. No more swaps without a background check. :hammer:

Do have one fellow who has stuck with me thru my schooling and time crunches - I hope to meet him this fall.

There is something else you can not know until you get there - some guys are servants, others expect you to fend for yourself. As a guy who caters to guests, I expect a bit more than "there's the swamp - good luck!"

#3 ·
Get what you pay for??? I sort of wish we could do the swap hunt thing here in Alaska cause we have alot to offer. Ak law states that you can't sell or barter a hunt unless your a registered or professional guide. Comes down to, yes, you can take a friend on most adventures but how do you get to that friendship position is the question. Duckdon

#4 ·
Duckdon said:
Get what you pay for??? I sort of wish we could do the swap hunt thing here in Alaska cause we have alot to offer. Ak law states that you can't sell or barter a hunt unless your a registered or professional guide. Comes down to, yes, you can take a friend on most adventures but how do you get to that friendship position is the question. Duckdon
I would think that if you got to know each other through PM's, emails and over the phone it would qualify? Have only been to Alaska once, but what a cool place it is. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
MissedAgain said:
Eric,
Most come down to people offering stuff they don't have or can not do - photos would be a perfect requirement.
Hate to say it but must guys on duck forums are F.O.S.. You can id most bs'ers, others not soo much. Not sure how much pictures help. About 5 years ago I took a member of another forum out on his first old squaw hunt in his life, next thing I know he's posting pictures and PM'ing with a bunch of people all about his old squaw expertise and offering to take them :fingerpt: That should have been enough right there, but took that same person to a new spot last year 200 miles from their house, found out 2 days later he went back behind my back for a few days of hunting and has been offering everyone and their brother trips to "his" spot to shoot a bunch of old squaw.

Biggest suggestions I have are to:
1) Make sure whoever you swap with will not have easy access to where you take them
2) Browse their last year of posts

#6 ·
I NEVER share my public places to anyone but CLOSE friends and if I swap hunts them I take them to the lease. That's the only way. I'm in the Army stationed in Louisiana, and I'm form Mississippi so I have to travel 6.5 hrs just to get home to hunt our leases or what not. Duck hunting on this side of Louisiana is nothing like what I grew up with and I've been fortunate to meet a few guys over facebook on certain groups and have been invited out, had some AMAZING hunts. Hands down, as long as you offer your supplies, you put in the work, respect your elders, do right, no one can complain.

#7 ·
Great topic guys. I'm a newby here but not to the world of swingin a shotgun and all that goes with it. Let me throw a few things out for your consideration. Yep there are those that are not respectful to the time and effort one puts in trying to make a hunt what it should be. The scouting, building of blinds, permission from the landowners, to planting of food plants. Some thinks these things just happen all by themselves. Some of us know better. It all is summed up for me as an earned reward.
Having hunted waterfowl in places from Alaska, California, Nebraska, Arkansas, Illinois, and my home state of Missouri i do have some idea as to what has to happen to make a hunt succesful. Most have been on my own and some i've paid good money for. A bag full of birds is not always the measure of success for myself. No one here can predict the outcome of a hunt so dont try. If the birds want to be at your location then you cant run em off. I've been on hunts where it took all week to get a limit of birds and then i've gone out within 2 miles of my home and been back at the house in 30 minutes with a limit. If someone is gona make a garantee then throw a flag up. Take the hunt for what it is. It's a great time to see nature at it's finest and perhaps develope a positive relationship with another like minded person. Dont let anyone tell up that duck hunting aint expensive. They lied to ya. 2 good hunts a yr is what keeps me coming back to the blind. Been chasin these critters since my high school graduation in 69 so that should tell ya how long and how much money i've thrown at this effort. All very much worth it. By the way, when i build a blind i include heat and cooking facilities and oh yes, a place to take a nap and doze on those slow days that the guide never told ya about when you were bookin your hunt. It's reality so learn to like it. Oh yes, almost forgot. 9 of us limited out on doves yesterday by 8 am. That's 135 birds if your counting. Just found this site and i already like what i see. Is there a welcome forum where i can introduce myself? Ya already know i'm a hillbilly. Great job Admin.
Small Block

#8 ·
I agree with the above poster who made the point of not taking them out on your public hot spots. If you don't have anything but public hot spots, don't swap hunts if you don't want them in on your hot public locale. Public is just that, and that's key to remember.....anyone can have access to it at any time. I've swapped hunts with others I've met in various ways over the years, and ony once have they put me in a public area, and I respect their hidden sweetspot. Never go unless they've invited me along. Everthing I hunt I either privately own or have 'gentlemen's agreements' with on their farm fields that border mine, and have sole permission to hunt. Now I may be different, but when I swap a hunt, I want to not only be able to pull the trigger, but I aim to get into some beautiful country and different surroundings all together. That's 60% of the hunt to me. But we all differ. Pictures are nice, but can be doctored, I firmly believe that more upfront communication about whats going on with local birds/wildlife is key to scheduling a great experience.

DT Dave

#10 ·
On a swap hunt as I write this right now. Swapped a maine bear hunt for an Illinois deer hunt. The guy claimed he had plenty o bucks around and some real good ones to boot.. So far he has been right and although I haven't are owed one yet I've seen plenty and come close a few times! Very glad it's worked out so far as I know our end of the stick will work out too! Was a little skeptical at first to be honest.

#11 ·
That's the only way. I'm in the Military positioned in La, and I'm type Ms so I have to journey 6.5 hrs just to get house to search our renting or what not. Goose tracking on this part of La is nothing like what I increased up with and I've been lucky to fulfill a few people over facebook or myspace on certain categories and have been welcomed out, had some AMAZING hunts :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

#12 ·
If anyone is ever in canada lol or near N.B canada and need some one to go out hunting with your more then welcome to come join us for a hunt our small group has been trying to show the amazing amount of waterfowl hunting areas and amount of ducks we get is insane if ur ever in the area contact me via email and we will get out for a hunt early in the year (OCT) we head to the marsh for some teal swating then later its off to the salt marsh to hammer the northern mallards an blacks you have never seen anything like this in your life big thanks to The Hunting Dog Nation. P.S.G pro. And the duck boys

#13 ·
shawny90duckboys said:
If anyone is ever in canada lol or near N.B canada and need some one to go out hunting with your more then welcome to come join us for a hunt our small group has been trying to show the amazing amount of waterfowl hunting areas and amount of ducks we get is insane if ur ever in the area contact me via email and we will get out for a hunt early in the year (OCT) we head to the marsh for some teal swating then later its off to the salt marsh to hammer the northern mallards an blacks you have never seen anything like this in your life big thanks to The Hunting Dog Nation. P.S.G pro. And the duck boys
Always wanted to hunt Canada. I've heard it can be unreal.

#16 ·
So I'm rather new to it. Only have been on public impoundments. But I'd be glad to take someone out. Atm I have most gear but only 12 decoys (mallards). But on a better note I have a 18 1/2 ft bass boat that can be used but would need to be covered by camp netting or something similar seeing how it's red. I'm stationed on camp lejeune and will hunt any day if given notice to take leave. If anyone is willing to show me the ropes that'd be awesome just don't expect me to do any calling I'm horrible as of now. :help: :help:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.