Spring snow goose reports 09-10 Ks,Mo,Ne,Ia

Regional reports on the migration of Snow and Blue geese.

FOR MIGRATION REPORTS ONLY

Re: Spring snow goose reports 09-10 Ks,Mo,Ne,Ia

Postby mox » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:58 pm

I sure hope the birds haven't passed us up in the Boothill... I'm headed that way next weekend.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby Snowshower » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:38 pm

Theres birds all over MO right now. Most of them what I have seen are just south of 1-70, and around grand pass which the last count had 450,000 on it. The southern boothill might be a little slower, I dont know havent been around here. The weather is predicting to be warmer north of i-70 which if it does and stays that way the birds will be working north. I'm not saying that your hunt will be crappy but I might consider moving north.
I would try to find out what is still in northern Arkansas. I'm guessing it may be the start of the tailend. :huh:
Snowshower
hunter

Postby mox » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:56 pm

That's what I was afraid of. I booked the trip a little late. The weather's lookin' to warm up more and more this whole week. Looks like we'll be a week late. We'll see I reckon.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby ohsay » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:51 am

Haven't seen/heard much about them showing up in numbers at Nebraska's southeast basin, but we had flocks of 75-500 working east and west throughout west central Nebraska over the weekend. Took 32 Sunday by Ogallala. Probably saw about 4-5,000 total in the air throughout the day. These smaller groups usually come in about a week before large numbers start filtering into the basin. We had weather here yesterday that pushed out most of what we had, but it's supposed to be in the 40's or higher all week throughout NE with rain in the basin thurs/fri. Should help melt most of the snow. Action should start there this weekend and looks good for anyone with a trip planned for the weekend of the 13th. I expect good numbers by then.
2009/10 Season Totals:
doves-15
greenheads-53
bluebills-8
pintails-8
redheads-7
widgeon-23
gadwall-8
woodies-3
teal-13
goldeneyes-9
snow geese-18
canadas-102

turkeys-6
coyotes-51
bocats-3
badger-1

and my very first deer, should have done it decades ago
ohsay
hunter

Postby greatwhitehunter » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:06 pm

:grooving: Sounds like they are knocking on our door... 50's and rain for the weekend here and next week is looking better by the day, snow is melting very nicely, come on great goose God bring them on :bow: :bow: :bow:
Having fun, and living life to the fullest...
greatwhitehunter
hunter

Postby Snowshower » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:40 pm

I did hear of last weekend that an outfitter group (dont know how many in the field) killed 140 some in 4 days in the Boothill. Sound like the Juvies might be working up? Im not seeing many juvies at all around here where I'm at. Flocks from 5-20,000 birds. Looks like spider-webs. It about time they come!! :bow:
Snowshower
hunter

Postby mox » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Snowshower wrote:I did hear of last weekend that an outfitter group (dont know how many in the field) killed 140 some in 4 days in the Boothill. Sound like the Juvies might be working up? Im not seeing many juvies at all around here where I'm at. Flocks from 5-20,000 birds. Looks like spider-webs. It about time they come!! :bow:

I hope you heard right!
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby greatwhitehunter » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:03 pm

The sound of that makes a chill run up my spin......
greatwhitehunter
hunter

Postby Snowshower » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:13 pm

Absolutly AMAZING sight in grand pass tonight! Grand pass site is reporting of 1.1 millions birds roosting. I'm not sure when they poasted that but I was there and seen 1.5-1.7 million birds come in! Boys it lasted non-stop for almost 2 hours coming in to roost!! Holy smokes there was a ton of em!! If it still dosent thaw up north farther I'm gonna throw out a wild guess that there could be 2 million birds in there by this weekend. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbsup:
Snowshower
hunter

Postby mox » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Snowshower wrote:Absolutly AMAZING sight in grand pass tonight! Grand pass site is reporting of 1.1 millions birds roosting. I'm not sure when they poasted that but I was there and seen 1.5-1.7 million birds come in! Boys it lasted non-stop for almost 2 hours coming in to roost!! Holy smokes there was a ton of em!! If it still dosent thaw up north farther I'm gonna throw out a wild guess that there could be 2 million birds in there by this weekend. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbsup:

how far is that from Kennett?
Nevermind... just googled it. Looks like we're gonna be pissin' in the wind this weekend if you're right.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:12 pm

Yup birds stacking up here in Mid MO but not going any further north. Report from Swan lake today 100K Report from Sqauw today no birds 10 inches of ice and 4-6 inches of snow!!! Birds are trying to go north but I have seen them coming back to Pass from the north the last two nights. There pushing the snow line but everything is still frozen and covered in snow!!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:31 pm

You guys are killing me...I'm stuck in class for 8 hours a day learning to prepare shipping papers...boring!!!! and I come out and its 50 degrees plus. :mad: :mad:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:38 am

Grand Pass lost a million birds yesterday :eek:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Iinthesky » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:02 pm

Hope some of you are not hunting around Beatrice,Ne . Birds are not sticking around. We hunted 2 days watched fly by after fly by. Heading to Grand Island tomarrow. Did a drive around after hunt never saw another spread. :huh:
Iinthesky
hunter

Postby mox » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:37 pm

52 snows over decoys today in SEMO.
Last edited by mox on Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby ohsay » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:48 pm

Iinthesky wrote:Hope some of you are not hunting around Beatrice,Ne . Birds are not sticking around. We hunted 2 days watched fly by after fly by. Heading to Grand Island tomorrow. Did a drive around after hunt never saw another spread. :huh:

It's pretty common for them to make big migration jumps when there's a sudden weather break and they're behind schedule. I was about 20 miles south of you fri and sat and we saw a lot flying through. Got 17 Friday and 14 yesterday over decoys (jumped some others), but most were just on the move. Especially yesterday. They were trying to make up some serious time, and doing it INTO the wind. It was crazy. Like I said last weekend though, I figured they'd start coming through this weekend and I still think it looks good for anyone with plans to hunt the basin this next weekend. IF it doesn't just rain all the way through it.

I think the late snow cover in the basin has pushed more of them west than normal too. I've never seen them coming through this steadily by Ogallala before.
2009/10 Season Totals:
doves-15
greenheads-53
bluebills-8
pintails-8
redheads-7
widgeon-23
gadwall-8
woodies-3
teal-13
goldeneyes-9
snow geese-18
canadas-102

turkeys-6
coyotes-51
bocats-3
badger-1

and my very first deer, should have done it decades ago
ohsay
hunter

Postby Snowshower » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:07 pm

Grand Pass lost there birds on Thursday night. almost all of them and they pushed north into brookfield. Mound City here I come! We shot around 140-150 birds all last week around grand pass. Thursday was the best day. The juvies arrived and the rest picked up with the juvies and pushed north that very night!! The juvies never stopped that night in the refuge. It was ugly!!

I know one thing! I am exhausted! I'm about done for the year!
Snowshower
hunter

Postby Iinthesky » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:27 am

Hunted up around GI this last few days had great luck. I am not a numbers guy but it was a great time. The Basin is loaded. Took another drive around after hunting, Lovewell loaded, Fairbury had a few around, Beatrice had very few and lincoln no birds. Have another week off work so may try it again. I will keep the reports comeing. For birds I would go mid to west of state, East I think this year is a fly by.
Iinthesky
hunter

Postby greatwhitehunter » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:55 pm

Took my 8yr old son out deer hunting Sunday evening and the snows were moving through northwest mo up by maryville, Thought I would through that out there to get every-one on the cyberscouting band wagon fired up.... Who cares let them all shoot :sniper:
greatwhitehunter
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:28 pm

Had that same north wind blowing by me Saturday morning by Bocklow...and heard snows in the air but couldn't see them with it being so overcast. But did have a group of 30 or so specks trying to call to my duck decoys in the central zone on Thursday.
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Steve Case » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm on the north side of Milwaukee and I heard a twittering. Couldn't figure out what it was. Finally I looked up. Way up. Thousands of geese, I expect they are snow geese. They aren't the golf course Canada geese I see all the time. I was looking for a place to confirm that they are Snow geese.

Posted Tuesday about 2:00

Steve Case
Brown Deer, WI
stacase@hotmail.com
Steve Case
hunter

Postby Snowshower » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Is it March yet? haha Actually Im sorta ready for the spring push but not really?? Where in the heck did this year go boys? I havent been seeing many snows moving south, but I havent been looking too hard. I did see a huge push of sandhills moving south almost all week and I also seen our giant white birds moving south also (pelicans). The snows fly a heck of a alot higher during there fall push, at least it seems. To the guys that has seen big flocks moving south, grab the binos and see if you can pick out many juvies, Im curious if this years hatch was any better??
Snowshower
hunter

Postby greatwhitehunter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:25 pm

Thousands upon thousands last saturday, the sky was just blackened, up by bob brown while we were duck hunting. the ice up there played hell on us that morning, but melted 2 inches off by 1:00pm. I'm sure it will be back by wed., calling for the good old cold stuff again. If it freezes up again like that i believe it will be time to either hit the big Mo or hang them up till spring thaw. Heck a person doesn't need to go out too hunt until about 11:30 am the way the birds were moving.
greatwhitehunter
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:44 am

saw a flock of 20k plus in a pasture...lots of juvvies...saw a lot of grey, which what I like to see.
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby greatwhitehunter » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:33 pm

We're back!!! Saw some large flocks moving through on the 20th of this month. Got six inches of the white stuff on the ground again. Supposed to be in the 50's this coming week. So it is going to be on like Donkey Kong!!! :boxing: :sniper:
greatwhitehunter
hunter

Previous

Return to Snow Goose Migration Reporting Forum