Mississippi Flyway snow report

Regional reports on the migration of Snow and Blue geese.

FOR MIGRATION REPORTS ONLY

Mississippi Flyway snow report

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:51 pm

Well lets get this going. I'm on the snow line in North MO havent seen any snows yet, most of our ponds and marshes are still frozen dispite the warm temps (we probably have 8 inch of ice on ponds) hopefully will open up in the next week. We have gotten a big canada goose migration the last 3 days but still havent seen 1 flight of snow geese coming from the south. Probably next week will start seeing some.

Been hearing that SEMO is getting going and NE ARki is heating up pretty good.

Other problem is going to be getting in fields around here :mad: We have melted off about 24 inchs of snow in the last 4 days!!!!!!! Everything is a muddy mess :mad: :mad: From roads, to fields to the damn yard!!!!!!! I have to put on mud boots just to go to the mail box cause I sink about a inch into the road. NOt going to be many trucks or trailers getting into fields this year :hammer: And 80% of the fields were all turned over this fall
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Re: Mississippi Flyway snow report

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:20 pm

Noticed about twenty big flocks of snows heading North today. Heard some last night in the dark flying north. They are on the way. I am in southern Illinois around Rend lake. Enjoy
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby lostpup » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:09 pm

Cujo1 wrote:Noticed about twenty big flocks of snows heading North today. Heard some last night in the dark flying north. They are on the way. I am in southern Illinois around Rend lake. Enjoy

I'm 2 hours north of you along the I-70 corrirdor and we had a very large amount stop in here on Mon and Tues. They may be in northern IL by now. We have lost our dark geese as well. I'd say with in a week you should be filling up in central MO and kanasas.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckaholic_16p » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:41 pm

Large #s of snows in west central il. Along il river. Can't wait for the weekend!
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby 495hp » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Got our spread mudded in today, it was awful and am now wondering if we should have even bothered with rain in the forecast. Large numbers of ducks and dark geese in the area. Saw three small flocks of snows today, ne mo.
495hp
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:24 pm

Hunted Thursday 2 counties north of STL, MO. Killed 2 Juvies. Had several thousand roosting and feeding in the area for several days. Birds left roost a fed a few fields over to the west all morning. EVERY MIGRATING FLOCK stopped in and fed with those birds. Ended up being 8-10 thousand birds. All snows headed north by 1pm. Impressive number of specks in the area and mixed in making any sneak attempt not worth it. Did not hunt over a good spread or good e-caller so more could have been taken with better equipment.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:18 pm

taken 20 so far this week...migration is starting.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby 495hp » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:57 pm

Killed 24 next county north of goosetalk. Birds flew all day. Was only 2 of us hunting, so good day for 2 guns.
495hp
hunter

Postby TR5 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:39 pm

I am east of St. Louis by about 35 miles. Over the weekend we seen probably 70,000+ heading north. Killed 25 over the weekend with a small spread of 400. I looked out and checked the rags I left when I came home from work tonight and I have several hundred feeding in the field. It should be good hunting tomorrow. They are well into full migration here. Earlier in the week we had a bunch of specs sneaking in and now they are good working birds and a bunch of them.
TR5
Newb

Postby Goose Island » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:13 am

Hunted just south of Horseshoe Lake last weekend. Fairly slow hunting. Does anyone know the current numbers for Union County KY and southern Illinois?
Goose Island
Newb

Postby goosetalk » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Saw birds flying both North and South today. A few thousand were feeding in the river bottoms below my house.
goosetalk
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Migration Reporting Forum