Duck Hunting Forum banner

Public Land Snows/Invite in Missouri???

7K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Blackfoot down 
#1 ·
I honesty am not expecting anyone to give up there secret honey hole! I am just trying to see if anyone would be willing to help out. I live down around Springfield and would like to make maybe one trip up north and one trip to the bootheel. I want to take my kid brother on one good snow hunt this year. Besides Swan Lake, would anyone please offer some advice or be willing to take on two guys that love to hunt? My kid brother is a cancer survivor and I am a vet. We took another DHC guy we met on the forum Canada hunting and I am hoping karma will return the favor! We have layouts and one dozen snow shells...we don't have much, but will help set and take down. We will try to pick up a few more deeks, but we only get to see snows around here every two or three years at most! We will definately hook you up when south zone is open and north is closed to try to get you one more good hunt!!! Thanks

#2 ·
You probably should have asked this question about a month ago!!!!! A little late to be planning a snow hunt..

#3 ·
i_willie12 said:
You probably should have asked this question about a month ago!!!!! A little late to be planning a snow hunt..
I'm not trying to be combative, but why is it too late to be planning a hunt? The snows don't get here until late February/early March. He has plenty of time to hook up with someone to get it going. It doesn't sound like he wants an outfitter, just a friendly gathering of hunting. Lots of snows around the Creighton/Garden City area. Don't know much about public areas, but you might be able to knock on a few doors. Many local birds that kind of have a routine when it comes to feeding and roosting, so it may be difficult to get permission in those spots, but you never know when the migrators start coming back through.

#4 ·
Cline said:
i_willie12 said:
I'm not trying to be combative, but why is it too late to be planning a hunt? The snows don't get here until late February/early March. He has plenty of time to hook up with someone to get it going. It doesn't sound like he wants an outfitter, just a friendly gathering of hunting. Lots of snows around the Creighton/Garden City area. Don't know much about public areas, but you might be able to knock on a few doors. Many local birds that kind of have a routine when it comes to feeding and roosting, so it may be difficult to get permission in those spots, but you never know when the migrators start coming back through.
Most people (myself included) have already made plans.. Birds are here and will be coming quickly (next 10 days)... If you are trying to get a guide or hook up with someone need to start planning a little before Feb 6.. Just saying :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I Canada hunt a lot in Southwest Mo and know what that takes to set up. I have never worked at setting up hundreds to thousands of rags, but can imagine the work. I just figured that some kind soul out there wouldn't mind a hand one day/night moving a spread and letting a couple more guys join in. I know the colonies of snows that I have seen while in the bootheel or up north usually number in the tens to hundreds of thousands. I don't think we would take any opportunity away from somebody's kill oportunities by tagging along and helping out once. I am not trying to take away from anyone who guides or pays for guide services. I was just looking for some one who would like to share a hunting opportunity for the same. I had a buddy that used to take me to the bootheel and we could jump shoot snows just about anywhere because all of his family knew everyone there and they hated snow geese for the destruction they did. Most of them begged us to kill as many as possible and even called us to see if we could go. Now everyone wants to make a dollar on it. I know how expensive hunting toys are, but if some one is already doing it anyway...and wants an opportunity for a hunt down south to return the favor, why not? I thought this forum was to share experience, meet other waterfowlers, and have fun! I really enjoy this forum and have hopefully shared as much as I have learned. I have already met one guy in my area that I never would have otherwise...

#7 ·
Blackfoot it is for that (the forum) and I think what he was trying to say was that almost everyone that plans snow goose trips has them planned out way in advance. I have been planning my trip since last yr the day we left, the hotels were booked up in October, most guides have been booked since then as well. It is something that takes alot of planning and sometimes money to execute to the fullest.

#10 ·
I know this is an old post but did you find a place to hunt blackfoot??
I'm west of ya about 80mi. and I've got ground here (priv) that is between 2 large marsh areas and run about 600 sillosocks..if we get the cold stuff and some moisture we'll have hundreds of thousands here.
Send me a message if you wanna try something close.
We also have ground at Mound city...be happy to take a couple more along...just 2 of us most of the time.

#11 ·
SkyCarp

I know your invite was for someone else but, if you ever have room for a third I've been looking to try snoow goose hunting some where other than Oklahoma. I've got 300 sillo socks and 5 doz 5/8's shells I could bring too the fight. If you got room some time drop me a message.

#12 ·
skycarp19 said:
I know this is an old post but did you find a place to hunt blackfoot??
I'm west of ya about 80mi. and I've got ground here (priv) that is between 2 large marsh areas and run about 600 sillosocks..if we get the cold stuff and some moisture we'll have hundreds of thousands here.
Send me a message if you wanna try something close.
We also have ground at Mound city...be happy to take a couple more along...just 2 of us most of the time.
There's a bunch of snows in your area! I've been down there a few times to hunt snows. Good stuff :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.